School...The Academic Realm...What do you/ did you study???

Sit down, skin up!

Moderator: Moderators

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

School...The Academic Realm...What do you/ did you study???

Post by weedguru_animal » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:44 pm

At 34 years old, I am returning to the academic realm...not the one, the only one I am in any way closely acquainted with, that would be the english education system, but now, the australian open education routine. It seems suddenly a useful idea to ask members what they have studied, or what they are studying...Not exactly a List Your Qualifications thread, but if that is your bent, why not eh??? Go right ahead.

Subjects chosen, academic routes taken, tell something to me about a person. Not much, but something...Which works both ways, for I studied two years of an BA Economics degree in Manchester, in my younger years, and what does that say about me??? At that age, I sought fun and adventure in a new city, not Economics.

Anyway...what of you folks???
News, football and ranting
http://thedissolutefox.com/

sugarstalker
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Re: School...The Academic Realm...What do you/ did you study

Post by sugarstalker » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:01 pm

If you wanna learn stuff without going to college with all the money and stuff that entails, you should check out edx and coursera.

I'm studying software engineering at the moment, second year.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:17 am

Wicked links, Sugar...I will surely take up at least one course from the Coursera line-up, though still slowly plough ahead with my Open Uni course here in AUstralia, which is incredibly pricy. I should perhaps see if I am able to enrol on my homeland's open uni routine from here in Australia...possibly not, due to course materials, but why not take a peek eh!

leprechaun
Bonghead
Bonghead

Post by leprechaun » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:17 pm

Studied politics, finance and business at school, and I'm currently in my final year of a business degree, focusing on the accounting and economic modules.

The UK's open university courses generally tend to get a good rep, though personally i don't think I'd do well at it. The environment plays a big part in my mind, I'm a big believer in full attendance when possible. I think it creates a certain kind of mind set... at least for me anyways.

Apart from the connections that you can make, i don't personally believe there's much real difference between one uni or another, though that's open for debate.

Depending on how the career goes I'd like to one day get a phd, purely for the sole purpose of calling myself a doctor. But I'll leave that to later in life.

Think I'm gonna really miss uni once I'm finished, so there's no doubt in my mind that I'll be back someday. Genuinely don't think I have an off switch, so the plan's to just keep on goin. Non stop progression, constantly bettering and never settling.
Four star familiar.

cutthecashflow
Intellecutally Wasted
Intellecutally Wasted

Post by cutthecashflow » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:09 pm

Check out Khanacadamey.org

Anyway I've been going to school for 7 years now. Should have my doctorate in the next couple. Anyway I focus on vision and the brain.
Get busy living or get busy dying.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:57 am

I grabbed my 10 GCSEs back in the old days, then several A-levels (economics, Physics, General Studies), AS Level Mathematics,....then went to Uni in Manchester for two years, completed 2 years of a BA Economics, then fled the country with my ex lady...a few years later I completed a qualification in Print Journalism and media studies. Left the country yet again...Upon my return I dived into and completed a small diploma in Introduction to Arts. And presently, I am about to begin a distance learning course in Writing, Rhetoric and Persuasion. One of several core units of a BA Professional Writing degree I will follow through with...Its high time I added an academic stamp to my wordsmithery passions and talents...

sugarstalker
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by sugarstalker » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:04 pm

Writing, Rhetoric and Persuasion. That sounds like an interesting course. I'm going to Canada in January and I'm considering following a course in another discipline, maybe something like biology. But philosophy, or literature would also be very interesting. Ah well, time will tell.

Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist
Tetrahydrocannabinologist

Post by Weedguru Higher » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:06 am

I dropped out in grade 10.

Certified-Nutter
The Iron Lungs of Wales!
The Iron Lungs of Wales!

Post by Certified-Nutter » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:27 am

sugar, biology is hard man, really hard, you really gotta be a) very passionate about it, or the career it will take you to, or b) an extreme brain box
i went to uni for 2 years in bio, i was doin ok, i could have done it, but the motivation just wasnt there, its hard, it takes hours of revision, and weed does not help you remember all the 20+ letter words you have to have memorised (like all 21 amino acids and their structural abbreviations, which was what the lecturer expected of us in the First lesson of Biochem 101... at this point i didnt even kno there was only 21 amino acids...)
anywho, back to me, school was fun, kinda breezed thru it without any revision really, 10GCSE's 3 alevels, the aforementioned stint in uni.
Then the fun part, went to college straight outta uni... complimentary therapies (massage and aromatherapy) my mum had done it many years previous, and had taught me a few tricks, so i thought why not? easy qualification and damn handy to impress the pants offa girls?
damn was i wrong-ish. its fucking hard work, but i loved it, and i was good at it. Also i loved being the only guy in the class, really made me feel unique.
Either way long story short, 2 months from passing, i ran out of money (student support was shit, like £500 a year, how u suppost to live on that with no job?) so unfort, i dont have a qualification in it... yet.
my plan is to goto uni, and persue, either sports massage, acupuncture or chiropracty, and i am leaning towards acupuncture. and yes, Some of it is i would like to impress girls, but the other reason, which is more prominant, but i would never admit to anyone in r/l is, having practiced martial arts since 4, the old saying goes 'the better you know how the body works the easier it becomes to take apart' ;)
anywho i have ranted long enough, catch u laters
Image Image Image <- My old account

sugarstalker
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by sugarstalker » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:42 pm

couldn't you take up a student loan? I get 700£ each month as student loan/scholarship. seems like a waste to have to end just 2 months before finishing.

Good to see you back though. As far as biology is concerned, I really don't know yet. I've just been reading a bit into bioinformatics, and it seems really interesting. I was originally hoping to take a course called introduction to bioinformatics, but for some reason they're not offering it this year. So I figure taking a introductory course in biology is a decent way to start. Philosophy and Literature is also a consideration, because I like reading books, and I want to be able to... be better at reading, if you understand what I mean.

Certified-Nutter
The Iron Lungs of Wales!
The Iron Lungs of Wales!

Post by Certified-Nutter » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:57 am

yea, student loans are only for university in UK, if your in college you either on EMA payments or an ALG (Adult Learning Grant) i was 21 at the time and all i was intitled to was £500 for the year, it was lucky i had my compensation payout from my motorcycle accident or i wouldnt have been able to afford to get that far, sucked ass.
If your genuinly interested in the subject, go for it, it can be hella rewarding, just dont want to see someone making my mistake, cos that was a costly mistake (2 years of student loans to pay back for nothing lol)
Image Image Image <- My old account

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:18 pm

I logged into my Open Uni course here in Australia, earlier this evening. The university which runs the course, Curtin, is said to be one of the best. So imagine my dejection when my tutor's personal', clearly a template with the name in different colour and font , Welcome Email included the phrase...>
'pelase feel free to contact me! I am here to help'

Here to help?? Let's start by putting your hand in a blender everytime you send such drivel to students, who like me, have paid damn good money, to learn from you, you corpse raping goon!!! Okay, when is the first assignment due??? I am eager to begin...

Perhaps it's best for everyone, that I am studying online, rather than in a class-room.

I ventured into the discussion forum for my course and fellow students, was suitably appalled, and presented myself as at best, a spiteful swine, at worst, a cretin to avoid in any medium.

sugarstalker
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by sugarstalker » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:06 pm

atleast you're being true to yourself. But that is not exactly a good way for the tutor to present himself to the people who are supposed to look to you for help and guidance

cutthecashflow
Intellecutally Wasted
Intellecutally Wasted

Post by cutthecashflow » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:15 am

The only regret that I have from 7 years of schooling is that I took too much science and not enough philosophy. I took plenty of history courses (which present somewhat of a philosophical state of mind), but as far as the arts and humanities go I am lacking. It's part of why I really enjoy reading the posts on this forum, plenty of philosophy from a global perspective. Not saying I'm deficient in philosophy, just not as well versed as I would like to be.
Get busy living or get busy dying.

leprechaun
Bonghead
Bonghead

Post by leprechaun » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:48 pm

You should have a look at The Philosophy Gym by Stephen Law.

So far my favourite, somewhat modern take on philosophy. I posted one of the chapters in the mass debate section quite a while back, it should be under the title 'The strange case of the rational dentist'. He's got a few videos on YouTube as well, but it's not the same as reading something for yourself.
Four star familiar.