what mobile phone do you own?

Sit down, skin up!

Moderator: Moderators

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

what mobile phone do you own?

Post by weedguru_animal » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:10 am

It tells me something about a creature...for if I am within hearing range of ANYONE who uses the phrases 'apps' several times in one conversation, I instantly label them an ENEMY. We spend enough time staring at screens without needing to pool all our screens into one with an iphone. It encourages, more than anything else I know of, the destruction of Language and proper self expression and meaningful communication, and only Once is enough for anyone I choose to share myself with, to say to me 'hang on a moment! I am working out this new app', and thereafter lose the connection between them and I...so, WG folks...what phone do you own???

As for me...well I moved up in the technologically focused rankings last year, when disaster forced me to start playing catch-up with the cool kids of the New Dumb, leading me to purchase this beauty:

the surely highly coveted Nokia 5070. It can send text messages, make phone calls, apparently there is an FM radio option.
News, football and ranting
http://thedissolutefox.com/

JokersAce
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Re: what mobile phone do you own?

Post by JokersAce » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:55 pm

I have no phone, but even I know you'll never catch up with the cool kids until you start embracing smart phones. :lol:
When the going gets weird, the werid turn pro.
HOW CAN SO MANY YEARS COME TO PASS WITHOUT ANYONE TELLING ME I SPELLED WEIRD WRONG?

Ikku
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Ikku » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:54 pm

Siri, tell Animal he's a cranky old geezer.
I personally recommend checking oneself for OCD at least once every 5 minutes.

andriaSRH
s†☼nër bi†ch
s†☼nër bi†ch

Post by andriaSRH » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:03 pm

This piece of shit.

And no..that is not a touch screen.

Bubbles
The Green Bastard
The Green Bastard

Post by Bubbles » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:32 pm

its blue and folds, thats about all i know.

JTP
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by JTP » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:39 pm

Mine's black and folds. You type with numbers and can feel the buttons as you press them. I use it for talking. All-new technology allows you to actually hear the person's voice rather than see a little message they wrote.

Ikku
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Ikku » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:29 am

At least where I live, it's illegal to talk on a phone while driving unless you have a headset. It is legal to text as long as it isn't a school zone. This doesn't make much sense considering texting is probably more distracting, but I use voice to text when I'm driving and it works just as well as any autocorrect texting. Plus sometimes you just don't want to get caught up in a conversation. I talk to my parents once or twice a week, but we text daily. If I had to have a conversation with my parents every day, I'd lose like 2 hours out of every day, those conversations just go on and on.

SpRi7e
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by SpRi7e » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:24 am

I went from having this last week..

to this as my own little birthday gift

It's the Samsung Galaxy S 2, one of the best smart phones out on the market as of now. I wanted to get something that I could use to organize myself way better, have an amazing camera to take pictures (8 mp) of things, video recorder, and this thing has it all plus way more than I could imagine.

I've been using it for writing out my homework assignments with an alarm that tells me when it's all due, emailing/txting/calling people, pictures, videos, GPS (I need one as I drive around lots of places and get lost fairly easily), and keep updated with sports games if I'm at work. There's a hundred other things I can do with it, but since I'm not used to owning good phones, I gotta find them all out. It's like a damn mini computer in my hands, and has made my life a lot more organized since I got it.
Peace Not Greed.

Ikku
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Ikku » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:14 am

I've been off and on smartphones since the iPhone 3gs. I have lost one and broken one. Luckily, they have since added insurance that includes things like water damage, which used to be a death sentence to any protection plan, so hopefully I stick with my current iPhone 4s for quite a while.

My girlfriend is of similar disposition as animal, she thinks smart phones are stupid and pointless and a waste of money even though she could afford one. Whenever I show her all the different things mine is capable of, she certainly changes her tune, but I don't think she's quite ready.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:46 am

SpRi7e wrote:I went from having this last week..

to this as my own little birthday gift

It's the Samsung Galaxy S 2, one of the best smart phones out on the market as of now. I wanted to get something that I could use to organize myself way better, have an amazing camera to take pictures (8 mp) of things, video recorder, and this thing has it all plus way more than I could imagine.

I've been using it for writing out my homework assignments with an alarm that tells me when it's all due, emailing/txting/calling people, pictures, videos, GPS (I need one as I drive around lots of places and get lost fairly easily), and keep updated with sports games if I'm at work. There's a hundred other things I can do with it, but since I'm not used to owning good phones, I gotta find them all out. It's like a damn mini computer in my hands, and has made my life a lot more organized since I got it.
I like those colours! Perhaps its time to purchase some hipsters, that phone, and a panama hat, then head into town on a friday night...singing that whigfield classic...(a night early I know, but I still love her for eternity):

SpRi7e
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by SpRi7e » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:15 pm

hahah, Ikku I was in the same boat as you with the 3GS.. I bought one 2 years ago, and a month later it slipped outta my pocket and broke.. It's a durable ass phone though, it didn't break from the fall as much as a 3 ton car going right over it with the tires, and even then, it wasn't too badly destroyed. I guess I just wasn't ready for such an expensive phone as I am now as I have way more uses for it nowadays too
Peace Not Greed.

Weedguru_Fire_Inside
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Weedguru_Fire_Inside » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:04 pm

I've got an HTC Desire S.

I must disagree with you Dan. A whole lot of apps are really useful, especially when you want to check the news and you have no computer around, or want to check your bank balance, or want to buy a CD, or want to know what the name of a song is. There are thousands of uses and the apps themselves don't drain away anything from 'meaningful communication' and does nothing to promote the 'destruction of language', as it's just a phone with which you can make normal calls, send normal texts and do so much other shit with too. Actually, my HTC has a function which tries to promote using the proper spelling of a word along with grammar and punctuation. Granted, there are a lot of pointless apps, but you can always just leave those and download the useful ones.
Death is the only certainty. EVERYTHING else is variable.

WeedGuru_Flow
Red Eye Jedi

Post by WeedGuru_Flow » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:58 pm

HTC Desire

I'm using a few apps, mainly for finding interesting things to do, some games but it's not like I use my cellphone that often.

the mobile internet functionality is awesome though, being able to quickly find anything you need without having to run to a computer is fantastic. Even though mobile internet isn't that high quality in Belgium (barely got 3G now) it works when I want it to so no complaints here.

Other than that, pretty good camera save for the non-existing zoom function, low light conditions tend to make pictures blurry and the flash is too bright most of the time.
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we would all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:44 am

Weedguru_Fire_Inside wrote:I've got an HTC Desire S.

I must disagree with you Dan. A whole lot of apps are really useful, especially when you want to check the news and you have no computer around, or want to check your bank balance, or want to buy a CD, or want to know what the name of a song is. There are thousands of uses and the apps themselves don't drain away anything from 'meaningful communication' and does nothing to promote the 'destruction of language', as it's just a phone with which you can make normal calls, send normal texts and do so much other shit with too. Actually, my HTC has a function which tries to promote using the proper spelling of a word along with grammar and punctuation. Granted, there are a lot of pointless apps, but you can always just leave those and download the useful ones.
Mate, I was wretchedly drunk silly dumb when I wrote the nonsense...my original point had been aimed at several apps which I had found woeful. unfortunately, due to my inebriation, I seem to have cast my net of rancour very possibly, slightly wider than intended. In more lucid mind, my rant would be more of a question...like...

I am drowning in a new age of apps and phones which look like my desktop but only smoother and lovelier, I need a flotation device...so...what apps do you people have which are useful? are apps free? Do they work on only some phone models? How much would it cost me to get into this game? If its something I can get manage for more or less what I already spend on my phone presently, around 30 bucks per month, then show me the light...

Weedguru_Fire_Inside
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Weedguru_Fire_Inside » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:03 pm

I pay £35 a month for my contract excluding VAT, so £42. My phone is the next one up from flows. There's actually little difference between the 2. The phone itself was free with the contract. I get 600 minutes to any network, unlimited texts and unlimited data usage.

I have yet to pay for an app. You can get apps for free on the Android market, which is an app itself on the phone. I have not got any games because they'd suck me in and i'd spend alot of precious time playing them.

My list of useful apps are:

Adobe Reader
BBC news
Colournote (which is like a 'To Do' checklist kind of thing)
Dictionary
Facebook
Firefox
FM Radio
Gmail
Hotmail
IMDB
Google Maps
Google Search
FB Messenger
Photobucket
QR Driod (which is a QRcode and barcode scanner)
Quick Office (which i use to open my downloaded email attachments)
Reader (which comes with free books like Alice in Wonderland, A tale of 2 cities,The Art Of War, the scarlet letter, white fang etc.)
Soundhound (which you can play music to and it will tell you the name of the track, artist etc.)
Stocks and shares
Vevo
Weather
Wikipedia
WorldWide News (which is fucking great, you can see frequently updated stories from newspapers all around the world. Not just the major ones too.)
Vevo

All of which were free and i use each at least a few times a week.

And Flow, it's a shame Belgium is slacking on the mobile internet game. There's so much more you can do with these phones if you have a good connection. My contract gives me 3G+ anywhere i may be.
Death is the only certainty. EVERYTHING else is variable.