How to Roll a Flaming Backflip Joint

Need help, or have you perfected a revolutionary technique & wanna share it?

Moderator: Moderators

Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist
Tetrahydrocannabinologist

Post by Weedguru Higher » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:56 am

Written by Crick&Watson

I thought that I’d share a popular rolling technique which is prevalent in the UK and indeed much of Europe - the ‘Backroll’. This style of rolling involves the reversal of a paper, or ‘skin’, so that instead of the joint consisting of multiple rolls of paper, it is constructed from a single one. This is favoured predominantly because it excludes the unnecessary area of paper employed in a conventional joint; this makes the burn rate smoother, the toke softer and the taste of the cannabis more pronounced. In short, it’s great!

Tools of the Trade

Below are the tools which are used to construct a perfect joint - having all of these is ideal, but even a few will greatly aid the roll.

From top to bottom :

American spirit - excellent rolling tobacco with a relatively neutral taste, soft smoke, great shaping characteristics and a very consistent burn rate. Now I’m sure plenty of US smokers will disapprove of the use of tobacco, but it is entirely necessary for hash consumption in joint form - this technique is also perfect for pure herbal varieties.

Toothpick - Great little implement for making a consistent roach (end of the spliff) time after time

Roach card - Ideally a thin, stiff card with no printing ink or adhesives. This happens to be from a pack of skins, but purpose built ‘roach cards’ are sold produced from hemp and other pleasing substances.

Skins - These were the only ones available at the time - King Size Rizla Slim papers. It is crucial to have thin skink for a backroll as the moistening of the adhesive gum involves the liquid passing through a layer of the skin, which means that if it’s thick, the adhesive may not stick, resulting in a time wasting, frustrating disaster. Besides, it defeats the point of a backroll - to have as little paper as possible! I highly rate Rizla Experts/OCB King Super Slims - both very thin but excellent skins.

Rolling Tray - Anything which comes to hand - usually a folded train card but a purpose-built one is always nice. They are a luxury in terms of rolling as they provide a helping hand during complex procedures.

Left - Swiss Knife / Multitool - one of the most useful implements. With patience there’s not much you can’t craft with a good one.

Right - Top grade Nepalese Charas (Sticky black hash) wrapped up in grease proof paper (which, incidentally, it tore due to how sticky it is!)

Procedure - Let’s do it!

1. Start with the skin supported in the conventional position.

2. Turn the skin ‘inside out’ - flatten it out and turn it the other way - as demonstrated below the gum is now on the outside of the closest leaf of the skin.

3. Cut a uniform rectangle or square of roach card according to your preferences. The roach is by far the most important part of the joint, as it provides the seal which prevents air leakages, support for skin and, of course, helps to cool the smoke; I prefer long, thin roaches.

4. Use the toothpick to make a perfect roach.

5. Place the roach on the left side of the skin.

6. Put a first layer - half the thickness of the final joint - of tobacco, if it’s a hash joint. otherwise, add herbal cannabis here and ignore steps 7 & 8.

7. Crumble the hash very finely (the finer the better, as the increased surface area results in more release of THC)

(Some very nice charas - look at how it sticks to your fingers!)

8. Add the top layer of tobacco, ensuring the distribution of tobacco and hash is even and conical.

9. Roll the spliff without too much pressure - don’t compress the tobacco.

10. Ensure that there are no protruding pieces of tobacco which could interfere with the seal between the skin and the adhesive gum, and roll it tightly around the tobacco mixture until the gum is no longer exposed.

11. Turn the joint over and, as you can see, there is a darker area to the left and a lighter one to the right - this is the area where the skin gum meet.

12. Stick the gum by licking the lighter area of skin covering the gum - it soaks through. Use your thumb to ensure that it is evenly distributed and stuck properly.

13. Allow to dry for a few minutes (or speed up proceedings with a lighter - beware of burning the whole thing down!). Gently peel back the excess paper until the extremity of the gum line can be seen. Fold it back so that the paper sticks out from the joint at right angles as pictured.

14. Cutting off some of the paper now means that when your burn of the excess, it lessens the danger of burning the whole joint, but it’s really not essential.

15. Carefully light the excess.....

16. The flame removes the excess.

17. Nearly there.

Nice.

So there it is, a decent joint! Reward yourself by sparking it.

I hope that you’ve enjoyed this guide - I hope it’s not labouring the point, but I thought it would be helpful for everyone, new to smoking or hardened veterans; now you have no excuses for a poorly skinned up J! If it's of no use - just enjoy the pictures.

This may make a useful sticky; have fun with this - it's always a satisfying smoke.

Rolling a flaming backflip

TheStonerOfZelda
Casual toker
Casual toker

Re: How to Roll a Flaming Backflip Joint

Post by TheStonerOfZelda » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:37 pm

When something is called a Flaming Backflip joint, you have to try it!
It may look like i'm playing the Ocarina, but it's actually a well disguised bong. Don't tell the princess.

Ikku
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Ikku » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:22 pm

Haha, true enough. The joint in this picture looks nasty though, I stopped smoking cigarettes and although I'll occasionally add a little tobacco to make joints fatter and burn slower, this one looks like it's mostly tobacco. Bleh
I personally recommend checking oneself for OCD at least once every 5 minutes.

TheStonerOfZelda
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by TheStonerOfZelda » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:20 pm

You stopeed smoking cigarettes? High five man !
I quit like months ago. And wait, maybe it's just how we roll in my City/country, but when you roll a joint, it HAS to have tobacco in, other wise you can't roll it and it wont burn. For it to be all weed you need a blunt wrap. Is there a way to make an all weed joint? O.o
It may look like i'm playing the Ocarina, but it's actually a well disguised bong. Don't tell the princess.

Ikku
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Ikku » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:38 am

Yeah you can just make a joint with all weed haha. In fact, around here that's what "joint" means. If you put tobacco in it we call it a "spliff." We typically roll spliffs over joints though, just to make them fatter and burn better. Pure weed joints have to be relit a lot, but it doesn't bother me too much since it just keeps it from wasting away while you're holding it. Tastes much better when it's pure weed too.

Why can't you roll pure weed? Just use a grinder o_O . Or are you smoking hash?

TheStonerOfZelda
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by TheStonerOfZelda » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:01 am

Oh i have a grinder, yeah sorry man it was a breakdown in communication. I thought "Spliff" and "Joint" were the same thing, just different names depending on what country you're in like America, England etc.
That's why i need to go on this site more oftenn. But to make an all weed joint man, that's like an entire 8th or something in a kingsize rizla when ground up right?

Ikku
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Ikku » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:09 am

Haha no way man, what a waste of weed. About a gram in a normal size joint paper. Why would it -have- to be a ridiculous amount of weed in a king size paper? There's a reason those are called "king size" haha. Special occasions only.

TheStonerOfZelda
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by TheStonerOfZelda » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:13 am

But king size are the bestt. I know people that L plate it and stuff when they have no kings.

Ikku
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Ikku » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:54 am

Makes sense if you have a big stoner circle. In high school I had a much bigger crew and when there were a lot of us we always did blunts. Maybe a king sized joint but we were smoking crap weed back in the day so we liked the flavor that the cigar imparted.

Nowadays I rarely smoke with more than one person at a time, in fact the max I've smoked with in the past several several months has been 2 others. I like it better this way actually, I'm always smoking with friends, when back then I would be smoking with random strangers a lot, or people I knew but disliked. You can make a fatty joint with one paper and it's perfect for 2-3 people. Although we also do a lot more smoking out of glass now that we all have our own place.

TheStonerOfZelda
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by TheStonerOfZelda » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:06 am

I have a friend that absolutely hates bongs for some reason. I've tried it and it's not too bad, well it was a bottle bong but still good. The age old question, what gets you more high, joints/spliffs or a bong ?

Weedguru_Fire_Inside
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Weedguru_Fire_Inside » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:55 pm

That joint is simply called a 'Backroll' around here. To get rid of the excess, you're better off licking the seam and ripping it off.

It's the only way i ever roll.

And in answer to your Q: Bongs will fuck you up quicker as you're taking a decent amount (hopefully) of THC into the bloodstream at a very fast rate. However, regardless of how fast you smoke, if you put more weed in a joint/blunt, give it half an hour and you'll be fucked up royally, as there is more THC in your system.

I wouldn't like to be quoted on that, but thinking about it logically, it has to work that way, right?
Death is the only certainty. EVERYTHING else is variable.

TheStonerOfZelda
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by TheStonerOfZelda » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:22 pm

I'm such an improviser. I only make like plastic bottle bongs. I don't have like a commercial one. I have a gasmask though that i would love to make into a bong :)

Ikku
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Ikku » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:47 pm

You will get equally high from either. Bongs have a better rush and let you take monster hits. You can smoke the same amount of weed 10x faster through a bong, so you get fucked up faster. But there's something about holding and passing a joint that's just classic.

If anything gets you higher, it's smoking from a pipe/bubbler/steamroller, I dunno for some reason I just feel that way even though that's my least used method of smoking.

TheStonerOfZelda
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by TheStonerOfZelda » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:49 pm

I've heard all this stuff about Vaporisers. How it's really smooth and better for you. But it's like 200 dollars, pounds, euros whatever.

Ikku
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Ikku » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:05 pm

It's a different high, and not really as good as smoking. We used one a lot at my buddy's place back when we all used to live with our parents because we could smoke it upstairs and his parents wouldn't really notice. Used it in the dorms too, since it smells kind of somewhere between weed and burnt popcorn haha.