Your favourite album of all time?????

Hip-hop, house, happy hardcore - what do you listen to?

Moderator: Moderators

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Your favourite album of all time?????

Post by weedguru_animal » Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:46 pm

Okay people, itd be cool if you all had a think and gave a small review of your favourite album of all time. Not just the title and artists but the reasons why, what makes the album so good. I thought of this thread, then immediately started to consider how hard it would be for me to choose just one album, but I will do my best and put mine down here later...
happy toking
hope all the weedguru members are having a good stoned sunday
animal
News, football and ranting
http://thedissolutefox.com/

riff
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by riff » Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:56 pm

Good thread, although I can't believe no one has posted this before! After a lot thinking, I've decided Revolver by the Beatles. This album was released in 1966, making it the "middle" album, as it was made 4 years after they formed and broke up. This is the first LSD influenced album the Beatles made, this is reflescted in the frequency and complexity of the studio effects used.

The diversity of the genres is truely remarkable, ranging from ballads to psychedelia, pop, rock and a childrens sing-along. My favourite thing about the album is the that even now most songs do not sound dated, even 38 years after its release. This is because of the gamble the Beatles took making this album.

Around this time the Betales were still considered the good-looking, charming, boys next door. They put all this at risk by making an entirely unique record, which is "far out" by modern, never mind the 60s. This album consolidated their commercial success, whilst earning the respect of the alternative music scene. This is one of the first albums to influence the Woodstock generation and most rock music made since its release.

Besides that, the songs kick ass! My favourite tracks are Tomorrow never knows, I'm only sleeping, Taxman and She said she said.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:24 pm

Mf doom- operation doomsday/take me to your leader

I realize that I am breaking my own rules, but cutting down from 3 to 2 has only resulted in a feeling of betrayal. I adore Slug and loathe to admit one of his albums from the coveted Nm1 spot, but I must because the two MF Doom albums are stronger individual packages than any individual album Slug has made. Therefore, my choice as best album of all time is shared between MF Doom’s Operation Doomsday and Take me to your Leader.

Daniel Dumile aka MF Doom, aka King Gheedorah, aka Vaudeville Villain is a true artist of hip hop. He began his career as Zev Luv X as part of the KMD group. After the tragic death of his brother, Mr. Dumile escaped into isolation and his name was unheard of for 5 years when he returned with Operation Doomsday MF Doom was the name, and his comeback album was outstanding with a flow that runs throw you like a river in summer. Relaxing, never taxing, easy listening, and enjoyable.

As an emcee and as a producer, Doom has amazing ability. I could go through each track individually, but I would narrow down my favorites to Rhymes Like Dimes, Tick Tock (with another of my heroes, MF Grimm), Who do you think I am, The MIC, Dead Bent, Gas drawls, I Hear Voices.

All in all and outstanding album which is only ever overshadowed in terms of potency by Doom’s more recent inclination as Godzilla’s enemy, King Gheedorah.

The lyrics and the beats smooth over your eardrums like a Caribbean tide caressing white sand. This album has soul, and it sounds amazing! If I had to pick the most special of an album full of gems, they would be Fazers, Krazy One, Next Levels, Anti-Matter, Take me to your Leader, fuck it every track on this album!!!

In short these two MF Doom albums are so full of smooth beats and wonderful lyrics that they share my favorite album title.

Nb. I would put accordion and rhinestone cowboy as two of my favourite tracks of all time but the albums ther are on aren’t as strong as these two.

MarleyBoi
Bonghead
Bonghead

Post by MarleyBoi » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:36 pm

either thug life or college dropout, cause pac's legendary but kanye's revolutionary
[img]http://www.allposters.com/IMAGES/IMPACT/362446.jpg[/img]

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:08 am

marleyboi, likei said in the original post.please write asmall review outlining why it is your number one album.what makes it great,rather than justa title and artists and its wicked kinda thing. surely with your favourite album you can explain why you like it so much???please try again as i really dont want this post to be a whol eload of one liners, rather a list of passionate reviews of the greatest albums of all time.
i cant believe that anyone who has a god knowledge of hiphip and othe rmusic could pick kanye west college dropout as th egreatest ever but i am not going to be critical, each to their own, i just hope to see some albums which i would say are a touch more inventive and creative than people running along tried and tested paths. anyway yeh i not here to be critical so i do my best not to be.please though really thin hard and explain why you chooses what you choose.

MarleyBoi
Bonghead
Bonghead

Post by MarleyBoi » Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:54 pm

ok well i changed my mind anyways, your right i was thinkin about it and felt i had to dig deep to pull out the best of the best, anyways probably every album from immortal technique would be the best. every song he has from dance with the devil to 4th branch has really just been awesome, he's been through alot of the experiences i have and therefore i can really relate to him. unfortunately he don't have one album thats better than the other in my opinion so i couldn't really pick one or review just one alone. in time i may write up reviews of each of his albums, song by song too, but nottt right now...

Dr. Greenthumb
Stoned Immaculate
Stoned Immaculate

Post by Dr. Greenthumb » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:53 pm

311-grassroots
311 is one of the best, most versatile bands ins the world the grassroots CD says what theyre all about i relate to it and it makes me feel good
“Cannibalism? Racism? Dude, that’s not for us ... those decisions are better left to the suits in Washington. We’re just here to eat some dude!”
-Charlie Kelly

MarleyBoi
Bonghead
Bonghead

Post by MarleyBoi » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:24 pm

Legend- The best of bob marley and the wailers

!

Dr. Greenthumb
Stoned Immaculate
Stoned Immaculate

Post by Dr. Greenthumb » Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:02 am

MarleyBoi wrote:Legend- The best of bob marley and the wailers

!
i got the dvd...its got a bunch of interviews with marley on it...hes smokes through most of the interviews
“Cannibalism? Racism? Dude, that’s not for us ... those decisions are better left to the suits in Washington. We’re just here to eat some dude!”
-Charlie Kelly

Weedguru Sensei
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Weedguru Sensei » Wed Nov 17, 2004 8:44 pm

Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way
[img]http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/1430/a45343a17d936183b9159c5zw2.gif[/img]

herbal stu
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by herbal stu » Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:28 am

Disturbed-The Sickness
Disturbed-Believe

Or anything Disturbed cant wait until spring 2005 for new album!!
[img]http://img273.imageshack.us/img273/2582/distsig1kd.gif[/img]
Reap your life like you want to recognise all you have come to!
When I stamp it on your forehead
So you will never forget that you're a reject,
And you're no one little impotent one!

pirate
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by pirate » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:32 am

Chicane- no odinary morning

Why: because its one of the best tracks to listen to when all you want to do is chill. the music is soothing (ok im not very technical when it comes to music terminology) and almost every track has waves crashing on the beach in the background.

favourite track on the album: Hidden sun
www.adventuresindaytripping.blogspot.com

[img]http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6476/logohm6.jpg[/img]

flynn

Post by flynn » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:44 pm

one of two albums.......

1. Grace- Jeff Buckley, because this guy was a musical genius and the music is powerful, emotive and makes me want to be a better musician

2. Blood Sugar Sex Magic- RHCP, totally flawless album. its one of the very few albums that i own that don't skip any of the songs. plus i think the flea/fruciante combination is dynamite

mushroombus
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by mushroombus » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:17 pm

We're only in it for the money - Frank Zappa
this album is brilliant in the way the sound is engineered. On some of the songs the voices are recorded slower then brought up to speed to make them sound like chipmonks..
the comedy value of Zappa within his deep songs of protest against american life is unbeatalbe in this album as he mocks both the hippies and conservatives of 1960s america.
the skill of Frank Zappa on the guitar, even though he is not usualy listed among the greats he had a rare and unmissable talent.
This is music to fly to, to cry to, to die to. Proof, if any were still needed, that Hendrix sits at Zappa's feet in Heaven.

riff
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by riff » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:43 am

mushroombus wrote:We're only in it for the money - Frank Zappa
this album is brilliant in the way the sound is engineered. On some of the songs the voices are recorded slower then brought up to speed to make them sound like chipmonks..
the comedy value of Zappa within his deep songs of protest against american life is unbeatalbe in this album as he mocks both the hippies and conservatives of 1960s america.
the skill of Frank Zappa on the guitar, even though he is not usualy listed among the greats he had a rare and unmissable talent.
I think we'd get along, Zappa is one of my heroes.That album does kick ass, but Joe's garage is probably my favourite. You're right about his guitar skills too he's probably one of the top ten of all time. Is that album with the Mothers of invention? They were a talented band too. Good choice :D
Look into my eye!
[img]http://compute2.shodor.org/mandy/cnew_archive/1920.gif[/img]