Which do you play - on which platforms?

Moderator: Moderators

Re: XBOX Live

Post by jcube69 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:14 am

Grrrl wrote:the demo's depend on the game, some you can play a level or two, others you can only play certain modes, it varies quite a bit. the only free game I have got from xbl was a doritos dinosaur game which was pap. If you have a gold account you can usually get games for a reduced amount on offers now and then. As I recall your daughter is quite young so I'd make sure you supervise her if you let her have an xbl account because there are some weird and vulgar people out there and you cant there is no way to censor the things that people might say over their headsets that might not be appropriate for her ears.

while its true there is alot of content on live that could be "bad" for someone so young its nothing she hasnt said or heard before...hell remember when you were that age? the things you said and talked about with friends.

there is a simple solution to the chat thing too just dont get her a headset and the xbox does have parental controls tha can limit what titled (raitings) games (g e ma etc...) will play without a password this also prevent those rated demos you cn download and i think you can even completly block all conversation....and if you cant no mic would be sufficient.

this november price is increasing aand if you buy a year at a time its 60bucks (5 a month) there are some arcade games you can g et full versions of for free but not many most cost points (1.25 per 100 average card at walmart is 1600points and 20 bucks) but the amount of content you get for online play is extreme on alot of multiplayer games...halo for instance you can play agains thousands of players team up with 3 others and crush the campaign.

even single player games have some advantage to live mabye aditional content dowloads or updates to fix glitches and make patches for the games (one that comes to mind is fix a easaly abused bug in oblivion used to duplicate items)

some auotes i found searching the internet
Xbox Live has something called "Family Settings", which you can use to tweak the experience. Also, some features are limited to those over 13, due to COPPA.
posted by cmgonzalez at 10:26 AM on December 22, 2009 [3 favorites]

You can log on to the xbox live web site and edit the privacy settings so that voice and text communications are restricted to people on your friends list. I use this feature to communicate with my friends while avoiding the online hoi polloi and it works just fine.
posted by ludwig_van at 10:29 AM on December 22, 2009 [2 favorites]

It is safe as long as you set the parental controls to limit his exposure to harmful elements. The Xbox 360 has very good parental controls, you can read about them here.

if you let her use the internet not really going to be much diffrent the wore thing you are going to get on live is offensive language and im willing to bet my left testicle that most of it she already hears or has said at school and voice communication can be disabled in family settings with other restrictions as well
Don't argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.Image