Would you let your children smoke weed at 16?

A place to discuss deeper topics

Moderator: Moderators

Would you let your children smoke weed at 16 (if they wanted to)?

Poll ended at Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:51 pm

Yes
90%
Hell no
10%

Total votes: 30

SweetTeaSweetheart
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by SweetTeaSweetheart » Thu May 17, 2007 7:54 pm

Would I let them? No. I'm aware, mostly by my own adolescent experience, that I can't keep them from it if they really want to, but I can't in good conscience knowingly let them bring an illegal substance into my home. I think if I allowed or encouraged that kind of behavior in my teen all my clout as an authority figure would go out the window.

brown_kid8509
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by brown_kid8509 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:46 am

i would let my children smoke whenever the fuck they wanted

its gods wishes
smoke as much as you can

-Brown kid

Pura Vida
Bonghead
Bonghead

Post by Pura Vida » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:07 pm

brown_kid8509 wrote:i would let my children smoke whenever the fuck they wanted

its gods wishes
true dat shit

and nice avatar man
[img]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e53/Doom_Goat/sigs/banner124.png[/img]

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Re: Would you let your children smoke weed at 16?

Post by weedguru_animal » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:25 am

It depends entirely on WHO they are at 16. I mean...their maturity, their friends, their focus, their direction, the nature of their sociable facets. I certainly wouldn't be against it on any moral standing, UNLESS they were already prone to paranoia and anxiety.
News, football and ranting
http://thedissolutefox.com/

SToNeR ChRiS
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by SToNeR ChRiS » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:01 pm

Feels weird to say it, but I don't think I would condone it at age 16. Somewhere within five years of that age I'd probably be more allowing and open to the idea though. As animal said, it would depend entirely on their character and personality. I guess that's why parents seem pretty strict, because they've learned from their various experiences. It's very easy to lose motivation and ambition in other areas if you start smoking consistently at a young age. 16 is still high school. That goes along with another point animal brought up in direction. I'll word this concisely. I would not go out of my way to prevent my child from smoking at any cost, I just would not encourage it... as I said though, eventually I'd probably be more allowing.

Edit: Crazy, I already posted on the first page of this thread years ago.
SToNeR ChRiS wrote:I was actually talking about this with a buddy of mine the other day after toking up. I'd have to say that I agree with most people here in that I'd let my son/daughter smoke weed but I wouldn't let my son/daughter become a pothead. As for the age? Like someone else said in the thread, to me it depends on maturity, not a precise age.
Hmmm, that would have been a lot easier to say.
I saw on TV today, this man lost his son, his son died...
So he had him cremated, took his ashes, and then made it into a Diamond ring...
Now he watches his son shine every day.
I just thought about that, while I sit here ashing in this ashtray...

Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist

Post by Weedguru Higher » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:13 pm

Yes.

I have 2 kids, ages 11 and 9.

I would not specifically encourage it, yet I would not ever condone it. Kids are gonna do it, whether you say yes or no. I prefer that they do it, and tell me, versus hiding it. Hiding makes things worse.

I will explain and inform them to the best of my capabilites, letting them know about the whole picture, the pros and the cons

Both my kids at their respective ages know I have not completed high school. When they find out about more weed, they will surely realize I smoke also, though I try my best to hide it. But, the last time I got busted and wasn't home, the cops gave them a POT 101 lesson, pretty much telling them that was what I was growing and smoking. Before this, the word POT was not in their vocabulary. They were young, but they will undoubtedly have flash backs. IE odor etc...

What I have been teaching them is that the most important thing in life is to finish their schooling!! Even at their young ages they know I have hard times because of my lack of schooling. They both are telling me they wanna finish school and get a good job, unlike me. When pot comes into the factor, I sincerely believe they will understand further and will not abuse because of this. I am confident, that if I educate them properly they will make a good decision. Education is knowledge, and knowledge is the key to success. . I will protect them, and do everything in my power to help in them succeeding in life.

It's a real touchy issue thought for a pot smoking Dad. Regardless of whether I smoke or not, I still have the best interest of my kids in mind. My kids are my life, my world.

JokersAce
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by JokersAce » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:28 am

weedguru_animal wrote:It depends entirely on WHO they are at 16. I mean...their maturity, their friends, their focus, their direction, the nature of their sociable facets. I certainly wouldn't be against it on any moral standing, UNLESS they were already prone to paranoia and anxiety.
I love you animal.

Man I'm high.
When the going gets weird, the werid turn pro.
HOW CAN SO MANY YEARS COME TO PASS WITHOUT ANYONE TELLING ME I SPELLED WEIRD WRONG?

13andstoned
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by 13andstoned » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:40 pm

I started smoking around the age of 13 (also 13 when I registered) and I don't really regret it. I still do pretty well in school and I toke a couple times everyday. That being said, I have to see when the time comes. Who knows if my kid is mature enough then? Also, if my kid finds out about pot on his own at 16, which he/she probably will, I would have to give them the talk.

(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by (weedguru)scarf » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:20 pm

Weedguru Higher wrote:Yes.

I have 2 kids, ages 11 and 9.

I would not specifically encourage it, yet I would not ever condone it. Kids are gonna do it, whether you say yes or no. I prefer that they do it, and tell me, versus hiding it. Hiding makes things worse.

I will explain and inform them to the best of my capabilites, letting them know about the whole picture, the pros and the cons

Both my kids at their respective ages know I have not completed high school. When they find out about more weed, they will surely realize I smoke also, though I try my best to hide it. But, the last time I got busted and wasn't home, the cops gave them a POT 101 lesson, pretty much telling them that was what I was growing and smoking. Before this, the word POT was not in their vocabulary. They were young, but they will undoubtedly have flash backs. IE odor etc...

What I have been teaching them is that the most important thing in life is to finish their schooling!! Even at their young ages they know I have hard times because of my lack of schooling. They both are telling me they wanna finish school and get a good job, unlike me. When pot comes into the factor, I sincerely believe they will understand further and will not abuse because of this. I am confident, that if I educate them properly they will make a good decision. Education is knowledge, and knowledge is the key to success. . I will protect them, and do everything in my power to help in them succeeding in life.

It's a real touchy issue thought for a pot smoking Dad. Regardless of whether I smoke or not, I still have the best interest of my kids in mind. My kids are my life, my world.
I admire you man... and encourage your teachings... I believe that a good education, sport/competition, and seeing different parts of the world other than the familiarity of the world they know is very very important. I know its not achievable to all incomes, but a worldly knowledge i feel strongly about.

As far as whether or not i let my child smoke at 16, most likely they will... whether i say yes or no... i also feel education is the best thing for this scenario, and as animal said, knowing your child at that age is also important... are they mature, focused, experimenting???

From my hazy memory i started at 17 when i was in my final year of high school (but dont quote me on this), but i would consider myself a casual but frequent smoker... a few times a week... for me this is enough to stay in love without effecting anything to with my world outside of the clouds
woah

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:30 pm

I quit school halfway through grade 10 at age 15. I had only smoked pot once at age 14, so I can't say how it affects schooling.

Bubbles
The Green Bastard
The Green Bastard

Post by Bubbles » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:33 pm

^ what made you decide to quit school then? lol.

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:59 pm

I didn't really quit cause I wanted too.

When I was a teenager I was shipped around from group home to group home and foster family to foster family. I started grade 9 here, then got shipped off to montreal where I did the rest of the school year in two different schools...Then they brought me back here for grade 10, but in January shipped me off to montreal again. I was failing badly cause of this and after the last transfer, I just gave up...
When I was 19 I went back to Aduult Education to get my highschool equivalency, and at the same time my girlfriend got pregnant so I knew I wouldn't be able to finish that year either. I had to get a job instead

WeedGuru_Flow
Red Eye Jedi

Post by WeedGuru_Flow » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:07 pm

You cannot control everything of course, and I probably already stated some opinion on this when the thread was still fresh, but personally I would like for my children not to start using cannabis before they're 17/18, not in the amounts I'm using it today anyway.

The thing about brain development and all should be enough to try and maintain some discipline in regards to drug usage at age 16.
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we would all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music.

andriaSRH
s†☼nër bi†ch
s†☼nër bi†ch

Post by andriaSRH » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:46 pm

I'm not gonna have kids, so I don't have to worry about this..haha suckers. :lol:

WeedGuru_Flow
Red Eye Jedi

Post by WeedGuru_Flow » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:00 pm

I'm not even sure if I'll ever find a woman I'll love, but if it does happen I'm definitely getting kids.
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we would all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music.