Do we have soul mates? I think not

A place to discuss deeper topics

Moderator: Moderators

pkkupo
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Re: Do we have soul mates? I think not

Post by pkkupo » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:00 pm

I'd say it's a combination of the fact that we are animals, and generally, guys have no intrinsic desire for physical contact with other guys because no type of physical contact will ever make babies. Guys will cuddle with girls because we're wired to want to. And we are wired to want to because the general idea is that physical contact will lead to sex, and sex will lead to the propagation of more humans.

When an adult male and an adult female who have developed similar paradigms meet, and begin to understand the similarities of each others subjective understanding of things, and are still able to appreciate and respect whatever differences, THEN you add the sexual attraction, you have yourself a "soul-match". As far as I'm concerned, there are also some essential and definitive preexisting variables that must be examined even before a sexual attraction is even remotely relevant. Please feel free to add/remove things from or edit this list.

#1. Delusions of god/gods. I think this really says a lot about a person.
#2. Humor. If people take any aspect of their existence too seriously, they suck.
#3. On the flip side of #2, give a shit. If you just resigned to apathy because you don't think you matter, you are probably not very interesting.
#4. Intelligence. Just enough to be curious and rational is enough.
#5. Physical lifestyle. This one's easy. No fatties. I find people who life sedentary lifestyles are typically useless. So unless you're Kepler, Einstein, or Sartre, at least play golf or something...
Like all dreamers, I mistook disenchantment for truth...

AbbyRoad
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by AbbyRoad » Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:48 pm

i think our past experiences should be added to your list. as number 6.

or past expereinces with other partners great influence how we view future partners. for example i girl will most likely not be interested in a guy if he is very similar to an ex. (unless she has unrequited feelings for the ex).
below the surface he could be an entirely different person. but superficially if he is like her ex on the list of 5, you created pkkupo, she may steer clear.

but on the flip side. we all have "types" that we are attracted to so its natural to be drawn to similar partners. its only when the similarities become awkward that it may be enough to make you not want to explore that avenue of interest.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:42 am

pkkupo wrote:I'd say it's a combination of the fact that we are animals, and generally, guys have no intrinsic desire for physical contact with other guys because no type of physical contact will ever make babies. Guys will cuddle with girls because we're wired to want to. And we are wired to want to because the general idea is that physical contact will lead to sex, and sex will lead to the propagation of more humans.
I have seen male cats, all through my life, thoroughly enjoy physical contact with other male cats. Almost exclusively, I mean male cats who are friendly towards each other, even then, they fight just as commonly, but that reminds me of me and my male mates, who enjoy play fighting...well, some of them just enjoy fighting, but that is something different, more an enjoyment of brutish superiority over another man... Also...in my 3 months in India in the late 90s, and also my brief visit to sri lanka, the men were openly holding hands, arms around each others necks, definitely widespread desire for physical contact with other males, and not widespread homosexuality to accompany and explain it. Different culture, I surmised, that is all...
News, football and ranting
http://thedissolutefox.com/

AbbyRoad
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by AbbyRoad » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:38 pm

i agree fully animal

pkkupo
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by pkkupo » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:29 am

weedguru_animal wrote:
pkkupo wrote:I'd say it's a combination of the fact that we are animals, and generally, guys have no intrinsic desire for physical contact with other guys because no type of physical contact will ever make babies. Guys will cuddle with girls because we're wired to want to. And we are wired to want to because the general idea is that physical contact will lead to sex, and sex will lead to the propagation of more humans.
I have seen male cats, all through my life, thoroughly enjoy physical contact with other male cats. Almost exclusively, I mean male cats who are friendly towards each other, even then, they fight just as commonly, but that reminds me of me and my male mates, who enjoy play fighting...well, some of them just enjoy fighting, but that is something different, more an enjoyment of brutish superiority over another man... Also...in my 3 months in India in the late 90s, and also my brief visit to sri lanka, the men were openly holding hands, arms around each others necks, definitely widespread desire for physical contact with other males, and not widespread homosexuality to accompany and explain it. Different culture, I surmised, that is all...
:ohjeez: Were you really not able to extrapolate my meaning from the context of the conversation? Evidently, my loose use of the words "physical contact" was a bit to ambiguous for understanding. I'm not so daft as to believe that males repel each other physically and absolutely... It's not so different here in Minneapolis as it apparently is in Sri Lanka. Physical male bonding is quite normal everywhere as far as I can tell... Hugs, an arm around the shoulder, it happens all the time. We were talking about cuddling. Cuddling implies certain emotional connotations which are only present during instances of a female and a male holding each other... Very different. P.S. I've never seen a gay cat.
Like all dreamers, I mistook disenchantment for truth...

WeedGuru_Flow
Red Eye Jedi

Post by WeedGuru_Flow » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:05 pm

I've seen gay monkeys on Nat.geo. :)
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we would all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music.

Weedguru_Fire_Inside
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Weedguru_Fire_Inside » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:41 pm

I fully agree with pkkupo. every last word he wrote, i agree with.
Death is the only certainty. EVERYTHING else is variable.

captainMorton
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by captainMorton » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:52 am

Weedguru_Fire_Inside wrote:I fully agree with pkkupo. every last word he wrote, i agree with.

same here, but mostly this word: extrapolate, i really agree with that one
[img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e387/Shortfingers/captainsigcopy.jpg[/img]
[i][b][size=150][color=green]Who am I to Judge who Struck you down?[/color][/size][/b][/i]

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:50 am

Weedguru_Fire_Inside wrote:I fully agree with pkkupo. every last word he wrote, i agree with.
I dont. because anyone who uses the word 'extrapolate' on a stoners forum, seems like a goon to me. Instantly...Especially so, as it is you, mr Puk, who has failed to not extrapolate, but understand the simplicity of my assertion...as I obviously meant...what you have failed to gather from my words. As in...men walking around holding hands. Maybe I am mistaken, and where you are from, its normal to see men holding hands, swinging them back and forth, as they walk around. But from my experience of the Western societies, it is extremely uncommon, other than for gay men, to be holding hands, openly, when they are clearly not homosexual, as their wives are huddled in their hoods nearby...Perhaps I am shockingly mistaken. As I can only speak first hand of England and Australia, where it is extremely uncommon, for straight men, to walk around holding hands. I apologize, here and now, if Minneapolis is different, but I doubt it is...as it is part of Western culture...and one of my favourite artists of all time, who i know intimately, through is intimate lyrics, and meeting him twice, often rhymed about his home town...
News, football and ranting
http://thedissolutefox.com/

SpRi7e
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by SpRi7e » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:55 pm

I wrote a big thing, but I wanted to sum it up, depending on the culture, people view things as a SEXUAL connotation (such as holding hands) and some things are viewed as just a sign of non sexual compassion. Talking about sri lanka is a good example here and you wanna know why? They are SO heavily influenced based on their gender segregation that some things are LEARNED to be sexual and some not. They are LEARNED that doing somethings a certain way isn't sexual, so their brains don't think of it as gay or strait, it never has... it's just the way they do it.

Also I believe that sri lanka is a bad example too because they are/were SO heavily influenced by their culture on what is and isn't sexually allowed, that they are almost brainwashed to view things in certain ways. The reason I put were was because they aren't as gender segregated anymore, and I'm almost sure of it that if their culture stops showing that holding hands with another man isn't gay, then it will slowly dissipate throughout their society.

Some things we do in america would seem extremely gay to other countries through SOCIAL CONDITIONING of everyone, just as we view some things as gay in other places (such as two men holding hands and waving them back and forth)

To be honest, I barely read anything besides some of what you two wrote so I don't really know what you were talking about exactly.. just had to put my 2 cents in
Peace Not Greed.

AbbyRoad
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by AbbyRoad » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:06 pm

SpRi7e wrote: Also I believe that sri lanka is a bad example too because they are/were SO heavily influenced by their culture on what is and isn't sexually allowed, that they are almost brainwashed to view things in certain ways.

Some things we do in america would seem extremely gay to other countries through SOCIAL CONDITIONING of everyone, just as we view some things as gay in other places (such as two men holding hands and waving them back and forth)
man this type of social conditioning isnt just in places like sri lanka, but it is a perfect example your example spri7e this instance.

every society brainwashes, to a certain degree, its people into forming a cohesive "culture" and when you are born into this "culture" it will be highly influential on how you re-act in any give situation for the rest of your life.
i think that our attitudes towards what is sexuallay appropriate in very highly influenced by our culture.
thats why things like male displays of affection vary so strongly from place to place.

sadly many cultures are based on outdated ideals (im talking about sexism and fear/hate of homosexuality) that do not foster human growth or evolution.

SpRi7e
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by SpRi7e » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:34 pm

The one thing that I really can't fathom, is that they view when the female holds a males hand, she is a WHORE.. she is immediately viewed by everyone as a WHORE. That would mean there is a sexual connotation to holding hands, now what makes/made it different with two males?
Peace Not Greed.

king
Bonghead
Bonghead

Post by king » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:44 pm

SpRi7e wrote:The one thing that I really can't fathom, is that they view when the female holds a males hand, she is a WHORE.. she is immediately viewed by everyone as a WHORE. That would mean there is a sexual connotation to holding hands, now what makes/made it different with two males?

yupp agreed....another thing that bothers me is that when a girl is seen with different guys and some automatically label her as a "slut"....but a guy seen with different girls all the time is seen as a "player"....no negative connotation attached. of course there are exceptions to this when a girl actually does go around tryin to hook up with every guy around for purposes other than actually liking the guy...and i believe same goes for guys as well

"penning these lyrics from a hammock, with a ounce of kush a pack of bamboos and an ice-cream sandwich" ~Curren$y

wgToonces
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by wgToonces » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:57 pm

AbbyRoad wrote:
SpRi7e wrote: Also I believe that sri lanka is a bad example too because they are/were SO heavily influenced by their culture on what is and isn't sexually allowed, that they are almost brainwashed to view things in certain ways.

man this type of social conditioning isnt just in places like sri lanka, but it is a perfect example your example spri7e this instance.

every society brainwashes, to a certain degree, its people into forming a cohesive "culture" and when you are born into this "culture" it will be highly influential on how you re-act in any give situation for the rest of your life.
i think that our attitudes towards what is sexuallay appropriate in very highly influenced by our culture.
thats why things like male displays of affection vary so strongly from place to place.

sadly many cultures are based on outdated ideals (im talking about sexism and fear/hate of homosexuality) that do not foster human growth or evolution.

That's why it's good to "clean out" your "operating system" every now and again with a nice cleaning agent. If you catch my drift ;)
:scratchs:

wgToonces
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by wgToonces » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:02 pm

wgToonces wrote:
AbbyRoad wrote:

That's why it's good to "clean out" your "operating system" every now and again with a nice cleaning agent. If you catch my drift ;)
king wrote:
SpRi7e wrote:The one thing that I really can't fathom, is that they view when the female holds a males hand, she is a WHORE.. she is immediately viewed by everyone as a WHORE. That would mean there is a sexual connotation to holding hands, now what makes/made it different with two males?

yupp agreed....another thing that bothers me is that when a girl is seen with different guys and some automatically label her as a "slut"....but a guy seen with different girls all the time is seen as a "player"....no negative connotation attached. of course there are exceptions to this when a girl actually does go around tryin to hook up with every guy around for purposes other than actually liking the guy...and i believe same goes for guys as well

This is because girls can get it WAY easier than guys. So a girl only has to ask who wants to fuck, when a guy actually has to work for it. And if any guy thinks they can just get it by asking and not working up to it then he's deluded. Or has a fuck buddy or gf. It really is easier for girls to get sex than guys.
:scratchs: