The place to chat about drugs other than marijuana

Moderator: Moderators

Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist

Ketamine

Post by Weedguru Higher » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:38 am

Ketamine
(AKA Ketamine Hydrochloride Special K, K, Dorothy)

Image Image

Ketamine (C13H16 ClNO M.W. 237.73) hydrochloride is a short-acting dissociative anesthetic with hallucinogenic and painkilling qualities. Ketamine is occasionally administered to people as a general anesthetic but, more commonly it is used by vets for pet surgery. Popular in club and rave culture, street "K" is most often diverted in liquid form from vets' offices or medical suppliers for illegal, recreational use.

Chemically related to PCP or "Angel Dust", the most common trade names for Ketamine are Ketalar and Ketaset. Ketamine’s street names include cat Valiums K, Special K, and Vitamin K.

Background:

In 1962, while searching for PCP anesthetic replacements, Ketamine was first synthesized at Parke Davis Labs. Three years later, the drug was found to be useful as an anesthetic, primarily for veterinary use because its respiratory depression was far less than most other anesthetics. By the 1970's patients began to report hallucinations while under its influence and in 1978, John Lilly’s book "The Scientist" enhanced Ketamine’s popularity. In the rave and club scene, Ketamine abuse waltzes beside gamma hydroxy butyrate (GHB) and MDMA (Ecstasy). All three are very popular with this party crowd and in the mid nineties, the DEA added Ketamine to its "emerging drugs list". A few years later the media and legislators lumped it together with GHB as a "date rape drug", and a "club drug". In 1999 the DEA emergency scheduled Ketamine. Today, Ketamine is used for short-term surgical procedures in both animals and humans and the drug is legally sold only to hospitals and physicians.

Usage:

Ketamine is prepared by evaporating the liquid from the legitimate prescribed injectable product and then grinding the residue into a powder. The liquid is dried by warming the liquid on low heat. In liquid form it is injected intramuscularly.

Alternatively, Ketamine is snorted or swallowed as a powder and sometimes smoked.

Effects:

Ketamine has become a staple at 'rave' parties, producing a dose-related progression of effects from a state of dreamy intoxication to delirium. Other effects include an inability to move, feel pain or remember what happened while under the drug's influence.

Ketamine’s benefit as an anesthetic is its ability to block nerve paths without depressing respiratory and circulatory functions. Some of Ketamine’s primary effects include increased heart rate and blood pressure, impaired motor function, memory loss, numbness, nausea and vomiting.

Ketamine "trips" have been described as experiencing alternate planes of existence, past and future revelations, and being "at one with the universe". Users often experience communication difficulties and an inability to see or hear others in the same room.

Side Effects:

Ketamine can produce profound physical and mental problems including delirium, amnesia, impaired motor function and potentially fatal respiratory problems. Two psychological problems associated with regular use Ketamine are paranoia and egocentrism.

Other effects include panic, rage and paranoia. Some user’s experience a feeling of paralysis, slurring, euphoria, confusion, nausea and vomiting. Ketamine users literally "feel no pain", increasing the likelihood of causing injury or harm to themselves without even knowing it. Users are often unaware they are hallucinating and some enter the "K Hole" - purportedly similar to a "near death" experience.
Source: http://www.drug-rehabs.org/faqs/FAQ-ketamine.php

Cautionary Notes:

In the rave and club scene these days, substances sold as Ketamine or Special K are often mixed with other drugs, including heroin, coke, and ecstasy. Any such drugs combined with Ketamine are a potentially lethal combination with minimal psychedelic value.

High doses of Ketamine may induce delirium, depression, respiratory depression and arrest. As an anesthetic, a Ketamine overdose will knock you out just as if you had received a general anesthetic in an operating room. Continuous use in large doses can induce unconsciousness and cardiac arrest, leading to death. If an overdose is suspected, seek IMMEDIATE medical attention.

Ketamine should never be combined with central nervous system depressants, particularly alcohol, barbiturates, and benzodiazepenes such as Valium.

Other Precautions:

*Do Not Operate Heavy Machinery.
*Do Not Drive.
*Do Not Swim and avoid bodies of water. At least one Ketamine associated death has been recorded from a user who drowned while taking a bath.

Dependency:

While Ketamine is generally considered to be more psychologically addicting, its physical hold is also incredibly powerful on an individual. Regular users may find it extremely difficult to stop. Ketamine’s seductive and tremendous psychological dependence results from the dissociation from one's consciousness experienced with the drug.

If used regularly, users of Special K can quickly build a tolerance to the drug’s effects. Special K is illegal and possession can result in long prison terms.

Tolerance is a diminished response to a drug. It is the effect of cellular adaptive changes or enhanced drug metabolism from extended use of a medication. Tolerance develops over days, weeks, or months.

According to the FDA, addiction is characterized by compulsive use, use for non-medical purposes, and continued use despite harm or risk of harm.

Withdrawal:

It does not appear that Ketamine produces withdrawal symptoms in chronic users. However, abstaining long term users report tension, twitching, decreased attention span, and restlessness. These symptoms may be due more to the sedative norketamine (a breakdown product of ketamine) lingering in the blood stream.

If you are a long term Ketamine user, it is advisable to stop taking it under medical supervision. Sudden cessation of the drug in long term users may produce unpredictable effects.

Ikku
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Re: Ketamine

Post by Ikku » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:26 pm

Anyone done this one? I know someone who can get it. I heard it makes you see yourself from a 3rd person perspective. I've seen someone on it at a rave before and they were pretty coherent, then again I was trippin balls so I might have just been tuned in to the fucked up wavelength they were on. I'm kind of curious to try this one. I loved the shit out of DXM the first couple times I fucked with it, and this is similar.
I personally recommend checking oneself for OCD at least once every 5 minutes.

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:32 am

Other than internet, I've never even heard of this drug....

Bubbles
The Green Bastard
The Green Bastard

Post by Bubbles » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:32 am

Ikku wrote:Anyone done this one? I know someone who can get it. I heard it makes you see yourself from a 3rd person perspective. I've seen someone on it at a rave before and they were pretty coherent, then again I was trippin balls so I might have just been tuned in to the fucked up wavelength they were on. I'm kind of curious to try this one. I loved the shit out of DXM the first couple times I fucked with it, and this is similar.
you can go out of body but thats when you do a shitload and go into a k hole.

Ikku
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Ikku » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:05 am

How much does it take to go into a k hole? Have you done it flyinhigh? Going out of body is the type of experience I would be down for, but I may want to try a smaller dose first to get a feel for the drug. Although it might be like DMT where there is a trippy lightshow high at lower doses and a completely different experience when you 'breakthrough'

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:17 am

Ikku wrote:How much does it take to go into a k hole? Have you done it flyinhigh? Going out of body is the type of experience I would be down for, but I may want to try a smaller dose first to get a feel for the drug. Although it might be like DMT where there is a trippy lightshow high at lower doses and a completely different experience when you 'breakthrough'
Dosage

Ketamine has a very steep dose-response curve. It is a very different drug with very different effects at higher doses.

However, unlike other psychedelic drugs like LSD, Ketamine is a short trip, lasting no more than an hour and a half from start to finish. The duration is not affected by the dose. So if you're not enjoying yourself, it's all over pretty quickly.
common effects for snorted doses

low doses (10-75mg)

A small line of Ketamine, up to 50mg, will induce the mild, trippy euphoria that has led to its sale as an alternative to Ecstasy. Smells and tastes seem muted. Visual perception and sense of touch amplified.

medium doses (60-125mg)

everything is in slow motion, there's a buzzing or ringing in the ears, disconnection from your surroundings, loss of coordination and in less than ten minutes you'll yourself hardly able to move.

large doses (100-250 mg)

You're in the "K-Hole", where it is physically difficult to do anything other than lie in a near-comatose state and stare at the ceiling. In this state some users report life-altering insights about the meaning of life. Others are just scared.

mega doses (250 mg+)

You're unconscious.

Ikku
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Ikku » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:34 am

Hmm, a bit of a broad range, but I'm guessing that has to do with tolerance or purity. Not too sure on how much it costs, but I was told that half a point (50mg) will "fuck you up." I might try to get my hands on like half a gram if it isn't too expensive so I can experiment with dosing it.

temsweert
Why Hello There !

adult dating

Post by temsweert » Wed May 04, 2011 8:48 am

AbbyRoad
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by AbbyRoad » Wed May 04, 2011 10:52 pm

ive done K a bunch of times. i never wanted to K-hole or do more then i could handle at one time. so the system my friends and i used was "bumps". just put a little pile on the skin by your thumb and snort it up. the problem is the one bump is never enough. you always have to do one more, then one more, then one more. but NEVER right after each other! always 15-30 mins between hits. ive done this for a few hours at a time and the high just gets more intense with every bump. eventually we were running around the residence having ninja fights in the hallway.

though i never ended up k-holing i got really close by mistake once. i thought i had one bump left so i poured it all out of the vial. it ended up being enough to make a small line. being already pretty high i snorted it back. hit me like a ton of bricks. i spent the next 10 mins totally on the edge. it was a really weird feeling. like i was all shaky on the inside and kept wanting to lie down. if i stopped talking for even a second it felt like i would float off into space.

another time i was binging off K the night ended badly. i felt awesome, cue the ninja fights, all night. but when i decided it was time to end the fun and stop doing bumps, i started to feel pretty damn sick. sick to my stomach in fact, with a mild headache as well. i ended up puking in my bathroom then passing out hardcore.

good times in college!

pudd1818
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by pudd1818 » Thu May 05, 2011 3:15 am

K is fun. Just don't do much. Start off small and work up to higher doses. A good scale would be a good idea if you have a lot. You can judge how much you want and really control your high.

SToNeR ChRiS
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by SToNeR ChRiS » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:20 am

I did some MDMA for the first time in about half a year last friday and my buddy is pretty convinced it was cut with Ketamine. After doing some research, I can't really argue with that. It was unlike anything I've ever experienced before... I took it with 5 other friends and the night was absolutely wild! I didn't quite get into a K-Hole but from what I've read I was pretty darn close. With that being said, I did have some outer body experiences... Outside of feeling extremely weak and having some stomach problems that were similar to what many people experience after ingesting shrooms it was a pretty good time. Out of all my drug experiences however, which aren't thaaat many, this was only the second time where there were some substantial negative effects. I attribute much of that to one of my friends bad tripping pretty hard though... Overall I definitely prefer pure MDMA 'powder' but it was certainly an experience I'll never forget.
I saw on TV today, this man lost his son, his son died...
So he had him cremated, took his ashes, and then made it into a Diamond ring...
Now he watches his son shine every day.
I just thought about that, while I sit here ashing in this ashtray...

stonedrippedtwisted
Bonghead
Bonghead

Post by stonedrippedtwisted » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:09 am

ketamine is loads of fun for ages until youve got an addiction and then it turns you into a complete waste of space. i started off doing it after mdma to take away the comedown (which its really great for) but ended up doin it 3 or 4 times a week its horrendusly bad for you, damaging your kidneys and your bladder and even though you might only need a tiny tiny bit when you start doing it you build up a massive tolerance if its frequent to the point where you can go through a g in about 3-4 lines there used to be loads of it in manchester and everyone was doing it seems to have dried up recently but yeah its alot of fun but the potential for abuse is big. ive known peoples bladders have to be removed and have a tube that comes out of your dick that sucks the piss out of it because they cant piss by themselves anymore, china has a bad problem. ive been literally knocked out cold by the stuff before and if you arnt used to the effects and you take a bit much it can be a really horrible experiance, but the more you do it kind of makes that stop, dont really fuck about with the stuff anymore often it makes people into vegitables eventually people round here call it teknosmack