how can i evaporate ethanol?

The place to chat about drugs other than marijuana

Moderator: Moderators

tim
Casual toker
Casual toker

how can i evaporate ethanol?

Post by tim » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:38 am

i am makeing dmt useing the poor mans dmt tek http://chemicalrecipes.blogspot.com.au/ ... guide.html
and i am at the last stage, i have ethanol with dmt in it and i need to evaporate the ethanol leaveing behind dmt.
so how can i evaporate it quickly?
i dont want to cook it because im scared i might kill the dmt.
i was thinking of putting it in the sun, and in a large dish so it has more surface area and is thinner.
and maybe have a hair dryer or something to blow air or suck air?

sugarstalker
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Re: how can i evaporate ethanol?

Post by sugarstalker » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:08 am

ethanol evaporates at about 78 degrees celsius, so you could just your stove to heat it without boiling, just make sure to do it in a ventilated room, because the fumes can be nasty, (atleast when you're burning your own spirits) , although I don't know how DMT acts when heated, Ikku or JTP probably has the answer.

tim
Casual toker
Casual toker

Post by tim » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:22 am

thanx, i think im gonna have to put it on the stove.
would it evaporate fairly quickly sitting in the sun though

zERo~Chronic
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by zERo~Chronic » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:22 am

spread it on a dish and let it sit on a hotplate, and like sugarstalker said make sure it's ventilated (you can even put a little fan to breeze over the top of the dish)

Ikku
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Ikku » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:35 am

I don't know anything about using ethanol as a solvent, doesn't seem like it would work nearly as well as a nonpolar solvent and you would end up with a really messy product containing DMT as well as base (NaOH or whatever you used).

Also, nonpolar solvents are pretty damn volatile and they still take forever to evaporate, I imagine ethanol would take at least as long. Yeah you'll want to spread it out as thin as possible and need lots of ventilation. You will end up with a lot of gunky residue in the end this way though. For a nice crystalline product you want to freeze precipitate it, not evaporate it. So I would try throwing the alcohol in the freezer and seeing if crystals form. Not sure if this will work though because the solubilities of alcohol and a nonpolar solvent are completely different.
I personally recommend checking oneself for OCD at least once every 5 minutes.