Weedguru Sports Desk

Chat about sports you watch or partake in here.

Moderator: Moderators

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Re: Weedguru Sports Desk

Post by weedguru_animal » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:15 am

United laboured to a chancey 1-0 victory over a resiliant, capable Bolton, with their subdued to the bench bulgarian grabbing the solitary goal. Roy Hodgson remains undefeated as West Brom boss, courtesy of a well drilled showing against Arsenal, who were let down, not for the first time by Almunia's haphazard sense of positioning and danger. Arsenal have so much talent, but so little leadership on the field, exactly as i was saying to one of my gooner mates recently. They would likely be well served by giving old lehmann a chance to organize the defence and judge threats professionaly. Wigan did their chances of survival no harm, after a stellar effort in the second half against fellow relegation rivals birmingham, who SHOULD have had a penalty, but played poorly...Palermo stopped the rot in Serie A, by crunching leage leaders, Milan, 1-0...whilst Lazio squeezed past Cesena, again 1-0, courtesy of a long overdue strike from the hot and cold Zarate. Expect Inter, Udinese and Napoli to cement their high leage position by all winning at home against lowly opposition. As for my near deaths door Juve, they face a Brescia side in good form. Such a shame that Big Phil Melo remains unfit, because somewhat similar to Arsenal, we desperately need leaders on the field, and whilst Melo is as volatile and mentally unstable as they come, he has been in strident form this season, often bossing the centre of the field supremely, allowing aquilani the time and possession to create...
News, football and ranting
http://thedissolutefox.com/

(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by (weedguru)scarf » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:24 pm

i have been doing some research in the states... expect an update soon good friends
woah

(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by (weedguru)scarf » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:01 am

yay i get to use the ban hammer... sweet
woah

sugarstalker
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by sugarstalker » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:15 am

it's been a bitter time lately, as a gooner, with horrible results. and you are quite spot on in your judgement, Animal.

on a more positive note - Reading have, after an 8th win in a row, jumped all the way to 4th place. Just 3 measly points behind position number 2, and direct promotion to the greatest of leagues. some time ago all I could bare hope for was atleast 6th place, and a shot at playoffs for promotion. Now I am much more optimistic!

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:31 am

Indeed, Sugar...your beloved gooners tumbling out of contention for major honours is of little surprise, given their definite lack of skill. At the same time though, I would love to be an Arsenal supporter, because they have, for my money, by far, the highest amount of flair in the premiership, perhaps even enough flair in their ranks, to rival Barca...the problem is that Barca and Man U, and especially Chelsea, increasingly so, Madrid...ALL have the missing link in the arsenal squad...STEEL. Its massive shame for the neutrals to see your lads drop out of the race, but at the same time, I am happy that Spurs have recovered well enough from their champions league mauling...as my only true desire for the premiership is to see City heading back to the europa league. I haven't been following the championship this season, only briefly peeking to see how Erikson is getting on...what is your link to reading, what is their story, who is managing them these days???

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Wed May 04, 2011 9:36 am

Its backs to the wall time at both the top and bottom of the major european leagues. Chelsea were lucky, in some ways, to beat spurs. Lampard was given a goal that was NOT a goal, but then again, chelsea were denied a stonewall penalty. Impossible to say how the game would have gone had it been refereed more accurately...but...I doubt the result would have been different. So United had to win or draw, to keep the resurgent chelsea from biting at their heels...and they fucked it! losing away to arsenal. Which blows the title race slightly more widely open. And as fortune would have it, the top two meet this weekend, which is surely now, a massive decider in the premiership race.

In Italy, my beloved Juve sneaked a win away to Lazio, which at least mathematically allows them and me to ponder the possibility of grabbing that financially rewarding 4th place. Its highly unlikely, and I will still place my money on Lazio for that position, although the situation in Serie A differs from other major leagues, in terms of what happens if teams tie on points. Rather than goal difference, position is first decided by head2head meetings, which strangely, plays into Juve;s hands...but they wont make equal points with 4th. Milan are stuttering towards the title, but its theirs. With Inter and Napoli assured of champions league qualification.

As for the relegation battles in those two leagues, its far too tight to call.

sugarstalker
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by sugarstalker » Wed May 04, 2011 4:44 pm

there is not really much of a link between me and Reading, other than that I spent a couple of days there, and then I kinda decided that it was my team, heh.
their manager is a chap by the name of Brian McDermott. they will battle it out against, probably Swansea. both games against them this season ended with a loss.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Tue May 10, 2011 10:01 am

having two teams to follow, not only doubles your chances of happiness and glory, but also of defeat and total depression...Gillingham have always been far more horrible than joyful, but up until last season, even after the demotion and promotion, Juve have been steadily brilliant.

Gills started the season awfully...so poorly, that we were staring a relegation battle in the eyes. And then...we got our best players fit and firing on all cylinders. After New Year, the gills were massively improved, 21 game unbeaten run, climbing from the bottom to near the top. A play off place (3rd-7th), seemed the least we could expect. But...as in Life, as in football, we fucked up, dropped points terribly at home in the last two home games...against fucking Barnet and Macclesfield, leaving us needing a win or draw, at least, to hope for salvation on the final day of the season. We ended up going down 3-1, and losing out on the play-offs through goal difference. A distressing end to a wretched season...so...onto Juve.

Who have fared even worse, but kinda opposite. For before new year they were on a pleasing 18 match unbeaten run, sitting pretty in second, but then, disaster struck! our first game in the new year injured our best forward, involved out best midfielder getting sent off, banned for three subsequent games, after kicking an opponent in the face, and we went down 4-1...that injury, taking out our prized striker, put him out for the season. Quagiarella is not the fastest, nor the most powerful, but he has incredibly high quality movement. And the importance of this can never be underestimated. For no matter how great your strikers are at scoring goals, at winning aerial battles, if you have a striker who knows where the goal is, from ANY distance, as Quagiarella DOES, and who is next to impossible to mark, constantly drawing different defenders out of their comfort zone, it creates space for other players to invade and utilize...Indeed, that crushing 4-1 defeat , at home, to shitty Parma, fucked up Juve. especially as we had to do not just without Quagiarella for the rest of the season, but also Felipe Melo for the next three games/.//that fuckes us...yet, strangely, we had fared wickedly against the other teams occupying and vying for the much coveted 4th place in the league and with it, champions league qualification. Bringing in Matri helped us massively, and we ended up withing striking distance of our foes...but...home draws to consecutive weak teams, have finished us, and now all we have to play for is europa league qualification. Are we to become a Fallen Giant??? Or bring in a coach with a winning mentality, invest massively in purchasing champions, not MAYBES, and claw our way back to the top??? The Summer will tell...

as for England, United's convincing victory over nearest rivals Chelsea, have finished the title race. as well as Ancelotti's hopes of remaining in London. the interest in the premier league, now switches to the bottom, where Blackpool, West Ham, Wigan, and perhaps Birmingham and Blackburn, have zero certainty of their survival...I predict that the hammers will succumb, along with Blackpool, and i really can't suggest the third team to drop out of the top flight, although i hope its blackburn. Not due to any long held hatred towards the lancashire outfit, but due to the takeover by a spastic group of indian chicken farmers, who sacked a man (big sam) who had a proven history of in the least, keeping his teams away from any relegation battles, with meagre resources. Not only did they sack him, but rather than replace him with a seasoned pro, they promoted a far from experienced in the throne, bald headed goon. Then had the gaul to enquire after the likes of Ronaldinho...i'd be happy to see ONLY blackburn go down.

(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by (weedguru)scarf » Thu May 12, 2011 8:59 am

Formula 1
We are currently heading to the europe part of the season after another dominant red bull showing in Istanbul this past weekend.
The king of saturdays (qualifying) is Seb Vettel... having claimed all pole positions so far this year... and another win in Turkey... his team mate in second, followed by an over achieving ferrari steered by that amazingly talented spaniard, alonso..
my boy hamilton in fourth... and another steady drive.

UFC129
Saw two of the biggest fights of recent time, with a resurgent Lyoto Machida vs the 'Natural' Randy Coutoure and the title fight between Aaron Shileds (unbeaten in 7 years in different organisations) and GSP.... who is probably the greatest of all time.
The lyoto v randy fight started out with some feeling and a little bit more aggression than usually seen from lyoto.. which culminated in one of the most stunning knockouts in recent years, and very similar, but better to stable mate Anderson Silva's knockout of Vitor Belfort a couple of months ago.... im talking about this :

the title fight was slightly less entertaining, with a standup war and jab battle between two guys who would have been much more entertaining and well suited to a ground battle...but GSP's wariness of Shields ground game, and some bleeding of the eye prevented GSP from doing anuthing other than scoring with jabs and kicks and keeping his distance... scoring an easy win

NBA
Playoffs have thrown out some amazing results with the 8th seeded Memphis Grizzlies smashing the hapless and top seeded spurs... making them look old and weary... the OKC thunder taking care of denver as expected... NOH putting up some resistance against the Lakers... CP3 playing like he used to... but it still wasnt enough..... and Dallas brushing aside Portland after some heroics from the kneeless Brandon Roy....
The east saw lebron and the heat feast on philly for breakfast as he put it... boston sweep aside the ego filled knicks... crushing new yorks first playoff appearance in a long long time.... Chicago had more of a battle than most expected against a gritty and surprisingly tough Indiana Pacers out fit... but ultimately the class of MVP derrick rose got them through.... and finally Atlanta upset the ever under achieving Orlando Magic... which could spell the end of Dwight in blue...

Second round is throwing out just as many surprises... with Dallas sweeping the all conquering Lakers... who exploded in a disgraceful show of poor sportsmanship in both game 2 and game 4... ron artest ejected and suspended... and both lamar odom and andrew bynum thrown out of the final game with expected suspensions to come from the cheapshots....
Dallas now await the winner of the two young guns... OKC and Memphis... who are battling into game six back in memphis in a couple of days time... an amazingly high scoring series...
The east saw Miami take care of Boston today, with the big 3 vs the big 3 show, the younger trio just had too much grunt, skill and healthier bodies... in the other series.. Atlanta is giving Chicago a run for their money, but i dont see them being able to close it out...
Special mention to Rajon Rondo of the Boston Celtics, who is one of the most skillfull, and now one of the toughest Guards in the game.... returning after dislocating his elbow and playing with one arm.
woah

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Sun May 15, 2011 11:58 am

United laboured horribly to claim a record breaking 19th league championship title, through a 1-1 away draw to blackburn. Laboured massively, due to the consistent ineptitude of their polish keeper, Kuszczak, who was truly woeful. Man City claimed their first piece of silverware for 4000 years, with a well deserved 1-0 victory over plucky, scrapping SToke in the FA Cup final. Blackpool performed heroics, but wolves more than equalled their efforts, leaving the likely contenders for the drop, as west ham, blackpool and...wigan.

(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by (weedguru)scarf » Wed May 18, 2011 1:37 pm

AC won the serie A if im not correct?
Porto and Braga for League cup tonight i think...

Bulls dominated the Heat in Game 1...
Taj Gibson said it best....

Dallas with an amazing shooting display from Dirky the big german routed OKC
woah

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Fri May 20, 2011 11:12 am

yes mate, AC won the league...i doff my hat in half hearted respect towards Allegri. Its been a season of failure for the major challengers for the title, as in Juve and Inter. Which partially deflates the potential reverence AC and their manager can bask in. Its not a blip, but neither is it a new status quo emerging...to see Napoli, Lazio, and even fucking Udinese, amongst the top dogs. For Inter and even my presently awful Juve, have the resources to see them through such dark periods...for a team like Udinese, or Lazio even, depends hugely on the failings of their rivals, and their own scouting system and manager, much much more than Juve, Ac and Inter. When you have at least 50m to spend each summer, a dark period can not be long term, because sooner or later, the Right people will be hired, who spend such huge wealth wisely.

As for England...this coming weekend is, for me, totally focused on the relegation battle, which is more intense than ever before.

15th blackburn. Gd -14, 40 points. final fixture- Wolves (A)
16th wolves. gd -19, 40 points. final fixture- blackburn (H)
17th birmingham. gd -20, 39 points. final fixture- Spurs (a)
18th blackpool. gd -21, 39 points. final fixture- Man U (a)
19th wigan. gd -22, 39 points. final fixture- Stoke (A)
20th west ham...already relegated

my own predictions are...that wolves will beat blackburn, spurs will beat birmingham, blackpool will get a draw against man u, and wigan will lose to stoke. which will mean, that...wigan and birmingham will likely perish.

(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by (weedguru)scarf » Sun May 22, 2011 12:08 am

Who are the two coming up?
woah

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Sun May 29, 2011 10:45 am

Qpr and Norwich...and after tomorrow, one of Swansea or Reading.

The champions leage final was played yesterday. The game was more one-sided than I had hoped, but I do not see it as indicative of the strength of La Primera Vs The Premiership. For Barca are far and beyond every team in the world. they could enter the world cup and win with ease. And as for Man U...and the premiership...They won it without breaking sweat, without any lengthy run of fine form, as liverpool fucked up completely (pre-Kenny), Arsenal were found out for lacking leadership and steel in the ranks, chelsea are going through a major transitional period, with old pros mixed with vibrant youngsters, lacking the bridge between the two.

(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by (weedguru)scarf » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:30 pm

Tennis:
Li Na became the first chinese player male or female to win a grand slam... congratulations to the womens french open champ
Nadal once again mentally crushed Federer on Clay, which was evident with a fourth set 6-1 clinch... Federer's window for a "true" french open title is closing year by year.

UFC:
Two events in two weeks with 130 and 131.
130 saw an unmemorable event, with a main event of Rampage Jackson vs Deaf Wrestler Matt Hamil... Rampage winning the decision and dominating the fight without the finish.
131 was a much more entertaining card with many entertaining fights including sam stouts classy KO of veteran edwards...
the knock em rock em bout from the mexecutioner... the flyweight bout between 4 weight division veteran kenny kenflo florian and nunes.... kenflo perhaps proving that this might indeed be his ideal weight class as he is finally the bigger athlete in the fights... and finally the main event between heavy hitting heavyweights shane carwin and the ever loveable man child jnr dos santos... dos santos blastin his way out of the gates and very nearly ending the fight in the first round... a bruised and bloodied carwin came out and showed enormous heart surviving the next two rounds to take it to a decision which was never in doubt but still at entertaining fight... DOS SANTOS says bring on the champ Cain Valesquez.

NBA FINALS
The basketball world rejoices as the veteran mavs' team style basketball beats the three headed monster in miami... proving that team fundamentals trump individual brilliance... the mavs wrapping it up in game 6 by ten points. but by far the game to remember was game 2 with the mavs down by 15 with 5 mins to go, came storming back on the shoulders of DIRK finals MVP...
feels great to see the 14 year veteran Jason Kidd finally get his ring, as well as the other veteran crew of Chandler, Marion, Terry and DIRKY
GO MAVS!!!!!!

Moto GP
Casey Stoner wins a wet race in England, with his two main rivals Lorenzo and Simoncelli, crashing out chasing him.
He also takes the lead in the championship and looks very very dominant at the moment

Formula 1
Canadian Grand Prix came down to the wire in the wet, with Lewis once again in trouble with the stewards for aggresive driving, which eventually forced him out..... the second last corner proved fatal for vettel who went wide and allowed button through for the win... webber third... the bulls are still dominating and wont lose the drivers or constructors from here and we are only a 3rd the way through the season.
woah