Addiction - Tolerance - Withdrawal

New to cannabis?? Learn the ropes in here...

Moderator: Moderators

Ikku
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Addiction - Tolerance - Withdrawal

Post by Ikku » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:36 pm

Now I'm all about herb, love that shit, wish I had some right now actually but I have too much studying to do today. But I believe this stuff is highly addictive AND has noticeable withdrawal symptoms. Most people don't like to hear that and will vehemently deny that either is true, but in my experience both are. We're pretty much all long time smokers here, many of us daily, and I know we've had this conversation before, but after last night I just want to reiterate my view.

When I say it is addictive I suppose I mean it is habit forming and creates tolerance. This to me is the definition of addiction. It is not dependence, I don't need weed to function normally, but I do feel compelled to consume it. Whenever I have weed, I smoke it. If I have any amount of nug whatsoever, there's a 99.9% chance that I'll smoke some that day. If I'm fresh out of buds, I will scrape every surface, go through every nook and cranny of my apartment to collect shake. I will completely clean out my grinder of kief (seems that I'll never have enough to press even a gram of kief). I will resin hit my bowl until it produces nothing. Looking back it makes me feel like a crackhead. :roll:

It doesn't heavily interfere with my life, I still do really well in school, although bowls during the day probably means less studying overall for that day, so I try to keep my weed smoking for right before or after dinner at the earliest. Also I try to make it to the gym every day before I smoke. But I've got enough of a tolerance where I can still work out or study if I smoke, as long as I give myself 30 minutes to an hour. Tolerance is one of the defining points of any addictive drug, and MJ definitely has that. I smoked between 1/2oz and an oz of premium herb in the past two weeks and the effects of tolerance are obvious, it takes at least 2 bowls to get me where I want to be whereas with no tolerance, one well placed bong rip is often enough. My highs are also only really about an hour long, with some residual effects that last pretty much the entire day.

When I stop smoking for a day, I notice the following withdrawal symptoms: loss of appetite, insomnia, and the aforementioned fiendish addict behavior. The loss of appetite I think I can blame on the overeating I sometimes do when smoking a lot, my appetite returns within a day or two and I think that's just my body catching up with my stomach so to speak. The insomnia is weird and is what inspired this post, I had to be up at 7 this morning and I didn't sleep a wink. Maybe 10 minutes of that daydreaming in bed was actual dreaming, I dunno. The thing about the insomnia is that weed doesn't necessarily cure it even though I'm almost 100% that the lack of weed caused it in the first place. If I do happen to have weed around and am just taking a few days break for exams or something, but can't sleep, I have tried taking a few puffs and it doesn't get me to sleep, at least not until after the effects have worn off. Really irritating. It seems the only way I can avoid insomnia is by smoking, but not right before bed. Unless I smoked a lot and can just pass out easily. The insomnia for me lasts a long ass time, maybe a week or more. I don't really know because I will start smoking before it cures itself, or I will take prescription sleep aids. Maybe I just have insomnia by default and weed is a good self-medication, iunno.

Thoughts?
I personally recommend checking oneself for OCD at least once every 5 minutes.

zERo~Chronic
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Re: Addiction - Tolerance - Withdrawal

Post by zERo~Chronic » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:10 pm

I don't think weed is addictive personally, even though i am 100% addicted to it. I don't blame weed for my addiction though, its just the point in my life that it was introduced and the events thereafter that lead to my dependence. Its all about the person, theres many factors like self-control and addictive personalities and social/environmental factors that effect if a person will be addicted to weed or not. I'm also addicted to caffeine and sugar, but don't consider them addictive. The real question is....is WG addictive? I feel the compulsion daily to check these forums, but don't see myself as addicted.

Anyways I feel like i'm rambling. Tolerance is a bitch but i haven't smoked since august so once i'm able to smoke again next month i'm gonna be soooo blazed =)

As far as withdrawal i've never heard of anyone having withdrawal symptoms from not smoking herb, besides wanting to get stoned or being a little irritable. With that being said I do have a loss of appetite from not smoking. But i don't have to go long without to notice this. if i'm not high, i don't want to eat. its very black and white for me. i feel like this is due to my body stopping producing the chemicals that activate the appetite because since i was stoned all day every day for years, it didn't need to make its own appetite. i also have some physical problems with my stomach that i'm sure contribute to this

Mate
Chess Expert

Post by Mate » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:25 pm

yes - this drug is highly addictive - i would say it is as much as cigarette is for some people. i believe that anything in life is addictive if you don't have some controll over your life. i personally am addicted - i need some weed to study my chess games, to relax, to cool off after an argument.(now that i'm single that reason is irrevelant, but i need a joint when my girlfriends decides to argue about stuff that isnt important)

Weed personally depresses me and remove all bits of motivation from my body. I've seen that - when i'm sober - i talk way more- work faster- think better- have no shy when it's about talking with important people - have waaaaayyy more confidence with my intelligence.
i like being high - but it definitly slows me intellectually - but it gives me a huge intuition and imagination boost ; you can't have it all at same time. that's the theory at least.

Everytimes i am out of weed for X reason - i tell myself i can live this way -but i always end up buying some.
I've told myself a lot ''i will live all my life smoking weed'' and as i grow up and get more mature - you know what - i will probably stop smoking way sooner than i believed, with chess competitions - i've understand and felt how it's better to be sober than high in most situation in life.

But like ikku said- weed gives me that appetite boost, imagination boost, intuitive boost(wich is so good to review chess games)
"In Life, everyone starts out as a pawn, Every journey begins with a single move. . It's the decisions we make along the way that shapes our endgame."

AbbyRoad
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by AbbyRoad » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:10 pm

i also think weed is very habit forming. ive been a chronic smoker going on 8 years. the longest i havent smoked in all that time is less than a month. sure sometimes i go a few days without smoking up. but its usually due to all my dealers being dry, or myself being really sick.
if ive got weed, im bound to smoke at least one personal toke a day. that one toke may even being late at night when nothing else is going on and i just wanna get baked and draw.
but i still wouldnt say weed causes addictions. but that is most likely due to my definition of addiction. ever seen the show intervention? those are addictions.

tolerance, isnt even worth talking about. we all know about it. we can all feel the effects once we start to develop a tolerance.

withdrawal symptoms.
personally i have very little evidence of them in my daily life. i have always suffer from insomnia, weed has never changed my sleeping habits.
appetite? sure i get the munchies while im baked, but alcohol has a bigger effect on my appetite than weed does. and when i dont smoke weed. i dont notice any lack of appetite.
the only thing i reallu notice is my dreams.
when i dont smoke weed for a day or two, i start having crazy dreams every night. when i smoke weed everyday i rarely dream.
sometimes its worth not smoking weed for 2 days just so i can have some epic dreams.

i feel like i wrote this pretty crappily but whatevers

Gorecore
Weedguru Grampy
Weedguru Grampy

Post by Gorecore » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:25 am

I agree with everything already said here...and I experience all the withdrawal symptoms listed, as well as the 'fiending' when I run out of nugs. Scraping grinder, picking little bits off stems, searching empty baggies for shake/kief, and scraping my pipe for the tar...then hitting the empty pipe over and over until it doesn't smoke anymore. Yes, it makes you feel very crackhead-like.

The first 3 to 5 days without weed, I have trouble sleeping, don't feel like eating, don't really feel like doing anything I enjoy while high like: gaming, playing guitar, drawing, etc.

Except for a few little breaks here and there, I was smoking weed daily for about 10 years...and have smoked it for 17 years. I guess I was forced to quit for a bit, since quitting my job a month ago. I had money to buy some but stayed smart and refused so I had money for more important things.

And honestly, I don't really miss it. I still think about it a few times a week. And I haven't quit smoking permanently. Chances are I'll buy 5 grams when I get my 1st or 2nd paycheck. Actually, my girlfriend has about 2 grams at her place somewhere and she wants me to smoke it this weekend because she wants to see me stoned!! She's awesome! :D

I love weed!

SToNeR ChRiS
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by SToNeR ChRiS » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:38 pm

After having smoked pretty much daily for the past 5 years, I've certainly gone through different phases. In the past, I pretty much would have agreed that weed is indeed mentally addictive and while I still accept that it can be for people out there, it's not the case for me. I have weed readily available to me and I haven't smoked since Tuesday. I know, big whoop, I've made it 3-4 days. But with that being said, I was able to do it without basically even caring. In the past, the most addictive response I've noticed in myself is feeling the overwhelming urge to buy marijuana once I run out. For this reason, I saved about a .5 to a gram for my "quittage" so I wouldn't feel the urge to purchase any. With all that being said, however, I think I've been ready to take a prolonged break for quite some time now, friendships have simply made this very difficult. That definitely ties in with your habit forming aspect.

As for withdrawal symptoms, once again on a personal level, this does not really apply to myself either. The first couple of days I have noticed that I've been awake in bed for about 30 minutes before I can finally pass out but I can't really say that's any different than nights where I've been laying in bed totally ripped. I have friends who say they can't sleep without weed as well, but to me I think that's just as much of a mental battle as it is an actual withdrawal symptom. If one is laying in bed constantly thinking "I wish I had some bud to put me to sleep" it's obviously going to be very hard to sleep. We're all different and I definitely agree that marijuana can have both addictive properties and withdrawal symptoms, I am simply happy that I have turned a corner in my life. I'll likely be toking daily again before I know it, but I'll still stand by my viewpoint on the topic.
I saw on TV today, this man lost his son, his son died...
So he had him cremated, took his ashes, and then made it into a Diamond ring...
Now he watches his son shine every day.
I just thought about that, while I sit here ashing in this ashtray...

SToNeR ChRiS
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by SToNeR ChRiS » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:52 am

........and now....... only a few hours later, I've smoked :lol:. Kind of ironic considering what I said, but some unforseeable shit happened tonight. I definitely still stand by my post though, I'm done smoking daily for the time being. The only reason I consider weed "addictive" is because it's something we've all done more than once... That's the same for anything though... the extent to which a user is "addicted", as well as both tolerance and withdrawal symptoms you mentioned vary from person to person needless to day. We definitely agree on the main point of your post though, they all happen to these varying extents.

Ikku
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Ikku » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:38 am

It's definitely not a mental aspect of me thinking "oh I wish I had some bud to put me to sleep." Like I said, even if I have bud and do smoke, it doesn't put me right to sleep, for me to sleep well I have to have smoked earlier in the day, smoking right before bed doesn't make me sleep it just makes me lay in bed all high.
I personally recommend checking oneself for OCD at least once every 5 minutes.

SToNeR ChRiS
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope

Post by SToNeR ChRiS » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:21 am

Ikku wrote:It's definitely not a mental aspect of me thinking "oh I wish I had some bud to put me to sleep." Like I said, even if I have bud and do smoke, it doesn't put me right to sleep, for me to sleep well I have to have smoked earlier in the day, smoking right before bed doesn't make me sleep it just makes me lay in bed all high.
Yeah man my bad, I didn't really direct that towards you, just most people in general. From the information you gave it's hard to interpret whether or not you're legitimately an insomniac or if there's something more to it... It's definitely possible though.

Once again this may not solve anything but on a personal level I can't get to sleep right after smoking either. You never know, there could actually be two completely different reasons that keep you awake 1) when sober and 2) immediately after smoking.

AbbyRoad
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by AbbyRoad » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:47 pm

Ikku wrote:It's definitely not a mental aspect of me thinking "oh I wish I had some bud to put me to sleep." Like I said, even if I have bud and do smoke, it doesn't put me right to sleep, for me to sleep well I have to have smoked earlier in the day, smoking right before bed doesn't make me sleep it just makes me lay in bed all high.

i was going to say i feel you on the insomnia but you are able to sleep well if you toked earlier in the day....

but i do know what you mean by if you get baked right before bed you just lay there high.
if your like me, your thoughts run crazy when all the other "noise" is gone and its just you and them in that dark.

SpRi7e
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by SpRi7e » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:59 am

My view? It's as addictive as your mind lets you..

I somehow let myself become addicted to it, but I can go without it if I need to. I don't smoke before anything important or even feel the urge to. Actually, the only time I really do is when I'm bored and there's not much else to do, and only when I'm SUPER stressed I'll want to smoke to calm me down, normally I can do it on my own.. or when I skate. I skate 10x better high for some reason, it's weird.

I'm with mate though, I talk way more while sober, I'm more confident, and I'm way more intuitive

I just LOVE being introspective while high and having random crazy thoughts flow through my head...also the relaxed feeling from it after a LONGGG ass day makes such a great feeling.

My view on it is weed is for reviewing and brainstorming.. being sober is for implementing my thoughts to actions. I usually get pretty introverted while high so I don't talk nearly as much... I just.... think.

I'm a knowledge junkie at heart, I love finding answers/solutions/theories to everything and anything, and taking them to action..but I can't do it while high which is why I see myself eventually becoming mostly sober in the upcoming years. I used to love thinking more than anything, but now putting my thoughts in real life situations and applying them has been what I'm more focused on lately.
Peace Not Greed.