What are you reading at the moment?

Book reviews, creative writing, essays...

Moderator: Moderators

Weedguru_Fire_Inside
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Re: What are you reading at the moment?

Post by Weedguru_Fire_Inside » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:52 am

I'm now reading From Darwin To Hitler by Richard Weikhart. It's a very compelling and thought provoking account of the road from Darwinism (albeit not inevitable) to the holocaust.

Very interesting.
Death is the only certainty. EVERYTHING else is variable.

leprechaun
Bonghead
Bonghead

Post by leprechaun » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:35 pm

I got myself half way through Darwin's On the Origin, but i stopped at the beginning of the summer with plans to get stuck back in when i return to uni. It really makes ya look at the world. But for summer, i've started reading sense and sensibility as part of my try to read all the classics phase i've been going through. Next on the list is Ulysses by James Joyce which i hear is pretty good, though difficult. I cant wait to start it as s&s has taken what feels like a 20 chapter introduction and is dragging, proper go to sleep reading so far.
Four star familiar.

Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist

Post by Weedguru Higher » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:32 pm

I used to read quite a bit, but I can't recall picking up a book since the moment I got this thing called internet

Weedguru_Fire_Inside
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Weedguru_Fire_Inside » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:22 am

That I fear, Higher, is a mentality currently sweeping through the younger generation. Not for a lack of desire to read, more so because of the myriad of bullshit on the internet and the growing number of people who do not question what they read.
Death is the only certainty. EVERYTHING else is variable.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:59 am

Punch, Brother, Punch...a comic reader of Mark Twain titbits, some of which is wickedly amusing, much of which is sardonic and predictable. And with Celine's Death on the Installment Plan, and Knut's Mysteries lying in wait for my eager consumption, I am unsure if I will persevere with old man Twain...
News, football and ranting
http://thedissolutefox.com/

Ikku
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Ikku » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:55 am

I am thinking of getting myself a Kindle e-reader soon. I have bought numerous books over the past few years, but often have trouble getting into them and finishing them. I'm hoping the technology side of it will inspire me to do a bit more reading.
I personally recommend checking oneself for OCD at least once every 5 minutes.

leprechaun
Bonghead
Bonghead

Post by leprechaun » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:53 am

Don't like the idea of having one of them e-readers. They're pretty good and all that and everyone i know who has one says they're great, but i really want to have a bookcase full of books when i'm older. The more i think about it, it's more than likely in a vain attempt to seem smarter than i actually am, but i simply don't care, there's just something about filled bookcases that i love.

Currently reading Ulysses by James Joyce, and although it's one of the most complicated books i've ever tried to read, and it regularly goes off on a random tangent, never have i read a better description of a man checking out a girls ass whilst waiting in a cue, and never have i read a better description of someone taking a dump. He really does make the ordinary seem a lot more interesting.
Four star familiar.

Ikku
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Ikku » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:37 am

I always felt that way too, plus it's nice to hold a printed book. I had a bookcase filled with many books at my old apartment, but half of them were still on my "to read" list and hadn't been read. I think that being able to carry around a multitude of books at once wherever I go and read them during downtime, like in doctors waiting rooms and such, is going to help me out and get me back into the reading frame of mind. Plus, it's supposed to be a very comfortable way to read, in that you don't have to hold a book open for long stretches of time, you can read from many seating/lying down positions, and you can adjust the size of the text depending on how far you're reading from or how tired your eyes are. To each his own.

Although many would scoff at me for it, I have been reading the book of Ecclesiastes and the book of Job lately, which are actually quite fascinating on a spiritual level. I've found that when you read biblical text from a literature standpoint, and not as a "this really happened" tale, there is a lot of wisdom entrenched in the old fables.
I personally recommend checking oneself for OCD at least once every 5 minutes.

cutthecashflow
Intellecutally Wasted
Intellecutally Wasted

Post by cutthecashflow » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:47 am

I would much rather have the book than an electronic version.

I finally got to the doors of perception by Huxley. This semester has been nuts, no time for casual reading when your reading and writing about science for 50 plus hours a week. Now that it's come to an end I'm going to catch up on some recreational reading.
Get busy living or get busy dying.

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:57 am

I used to read alot years ago...basically from childhood to late teens. That's the main reason why I have a fairly good english vocabulary...atleast for a frenchman. I never read in french. French books suck. Since I've had internet though, the reading thing has taken a back seat. One of my favorite authors back then was Stephen King

sugarstalker
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by sugarstalker » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:58 am

I'm reading Crime and punishment at the moment. Very very good read so far.

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:24 am

sugarstalker wrote:I'm reading Crime and punishment at the moment. Very very good read so far.
One of my favourite books of all time, sugar...although I prefer Brothers Karamazov and especially The Idiot (out of Fyodor's greatest works). Be sure to proffer a review when finished, which will likely be the push I need to delve into The Devils which has been patiently awaiting my gaze for a year or three...

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:48 pm

Weedguru_Fire_Inside wrote:That I fear, Higher, is a mentality currently sweeping through the younger generation. Not for a lack of desire to read, more so because of the myriad of bullshit on the internet and the growing number of people who do not question what they read.
Ya, I agree

I can't get my 14 year old to read a book for the life of me. The next best solution I've found is books like this one---Ghost in the Machine, by Patrick Carmen.

It's a book that you read, but there are also these links to go online and view a video clip throughout the story. Only type of book I can actually get her interested in atm

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:21 pm

I've had enough of Twain...His choicest comedy cuts needed a month of my reading time, to make it as far as page 100. Within a week of diving into Knut Hamsun's Mysteries, I have almost finished the book, and slowed down with effort, to savour the final charge...

weedguru_animal
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by weedguru_animal » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:06 pm

I have several books to add in here to connect my last entry in this thread with this one today...but have not the time to mention anything other than gogols evenings on a farm near dikanka. Which I'm having trouble enjoying, and wishing that I had chosen to bring Knut hamsuns HUnger on this Moroccan trip in it's place.