Planning For My First Grow

Talk about grow room setup/design and equipment

Moderator: Moderators

Duff-
Why Hello There !

Planning For My First Grow

Post by Duff- » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:31 pm

Hi folks.

For the past two years I've spent way too much money trying to keep myself supplied with an adequate amount (I average 1-3 grams per day) which I use to treat certain mental illnesses, and I absolutely despise dealing with the type of people who sell it around here, so growing it to supply myself has always been my goal, while maybe selling a bit on the side to cover costs for power and consumables.

I have not grown marijuana before, or any other plant for that matter. Over the past year I've spent many hours reading materials online as well as doing up diagrams for potential grow setups.

This is a diagram of my expected grow setup, assuming 5 plants.

Grow Size

My goal is to keep myself and someone close to me (who uses it for the same reasons) supplied with marijuana year round. Ideally, every "cycle" (from seed to finish) will provide me with enough to last the length of the next cycle (which I estimate to be 2.5-4 months, depending on the strain).

Our combined use works out 4-5 grams per day. Of course, once I am cultivating my own and not worrying about the costs and conservation, I expect our usage to go up at least a bit.

Therefore, I would like to yield enough to have at least 200 grams per month (600-800 grams per cycle).

Seeds

I'm located in Canada, and planning to order from a Canadian seedbank, Dr. Greenthumb's Seeds. It is not the cheapest seedbank around, but he promises excellent quality and good strain selection.

Especially with my very first grow, a large yield is important. I've decided that my first strain to grow will be "Endless Sky", an indica strain with a short flowering time and a large yield (400-500g per m2).

Once I have a "stockpile" of bud, I'd like to attempt to grow a variety of strains like longer-flowering indicas or sativa plants. Strains I'd like to try and grow eventually include OG Kush, Original Cheese, Chumaluma, Jazz and Millennium Bud.

Equipment

Perhaps my biggest obstacle is obtaining the right grow equipment. I am aware growing it can be done on the cheap if necessary, however I'm looking at this with a go big or go home mindset.

At least initially, I will be growing indoors. Since I will likely be growing in an apartment and stealthiness is a top priority, I am looking at getting a 4x4 grow tent.

I'm not sure how many plants I can expect to fit in this tent. Endless Sky is an indica strain, only growing to be about 24" tall. Using the gallon per foot rule of thumb, three gallon pots would be sufficient, allowing 5-9 plants in a 4x4 area.

For lighting I want to use a Lumatek 600W digital ballast. This will run HPS or MH bulbs, so I can switch types between vegetative growth and flowering.

For ventilation and odor control, a 4" Vortex power fan and Can Filter 33. At 172cfm, this will cycle all the air in the tent every 45-60 seconds.

I have looked around online for the best places to get equipment, and Progressive Growth is a Canadian dealer that seems to have a wide selection and decent prices.

They offer a kit, Darkroom 120 which has everything I'll need except for a carbon filter, soil, pots and fertilizers.

Total costs including all the equipment and seeds will be close to $1500 CAD. That's probably the biggest obstacle to be overcome ;).

Other...

In spite of all my research, there are still finer aspects of marijuana cultivation that I am unaware of. I want my first grow to be fruitful. I'm sure it will be easier knowing that I have the vast resources of communities such as these to assist if I have any problems. I'll definitely being using a learn as I go approach. For example, I only recently learned of "topping" plants, from one of the grow guides on this forum. I've got to say, that forum is one of the most comprehensive guides I've read online.

After I get a handle on indoor growing, I'd like to try an outdoor grow next season with some high-yield sativa strains like Matanuska Thunderfuck or Columbian Skies, however I'm not sure how well they grow in a temperate east coast climate.

I won't be able to put my plan into action for at least a couple months, however I'm perpetually preparing and planning and welcome any comments or suggestions that could help to make my first grow a great success. I'm going to make an effort to hang out around these forums, it'll be nice to talk to some fellow stoners for a change. :chronic:

Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist
Tetrahydrocannabinologist

Re: Planning For My First Grow

Post by Weedguru Higher » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:21 am

Hey Duff, glad to see another grower around these parts!

You seem to have everything figured out pretty good.

Can't wait to see a grow log from you!

Duff-
Why Hello There !

Re: Planning For My First Grow

Post by Duff- » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:05 pm

Thanks for the welcome! It's good to know I'm going in the right direction for my first grow.

I definitely plan to document my first grow extensively, pictures and all. Hoping to talk to some fellow east coast stoners while I'm at it.