Mirrors / Thistle Tea

Talk about grow room setup/design and equipment

Moderator: Moderators

bcIslander
Why Hello There !

Mirrors / Thistle Tea

Post by bcIslander » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:15 pm

Just found the forums, and I read up on some watering advice, that sure helped me figure out a proper watering schedule -- so thanks for that. Seeking some advice specific to my situation here...

I'm a second-year grower on the west coast of BC -- year one went OK, but I'd like a stronger harvest this year if possible. Soil's not great, a bit sandy -- gonna work on that for next year. Unfortunately, my (outdoor) plants wound up in a spot that gets pretty much only the minimum recommended 5 hours of direct sunlight daily. Wondering: Is it helpful to use a few mirrors to reflect sunlight onto the plants, or will that just damage them?

Also -- a friend told me I could cut up some wild-growing thistle and soak it in water for a few days to make a nitrate-rich "tea" that's good for watering. What would be your opinions about this practice?

Appreciate any help that may come of my post -- thanks!

Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist

Re: Mirrors / Thistle Tea

Post by Weedguru Higher » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi there, and welcome to Weedguru ...glad to see another fellow Canadian!

I've heard of mirrors being used for regular outdoor home gardens, so I guess it's certainly possible, but mirrors are a really bad idea outdoors for marijuana cause your plants are gonna become a real easy target for helicopters and whoever else to spot. (from the glare/refletion) Your plants will do just fine without them. Take it as a learning experience, and find a better spot for next year

I don't know about thistle tea, I don't think I've ever heard of it but I'm not into this organic stuff much so you never know. If it is rich in nitrogen, then yes it's good for your plants during the vegetative cycle. Nitrogen is what they need most during this phase

I know you can make compost tea which would probably be even better.

Sorry I can't be of more help

Any chances of you posting pictures of your beautiful babes??

:chronic:

bcIslander
Why Hello There !

Post by bcIslander » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:36 pm

Thanks for the help last week Weedguru. I just snapped a photo of my wee spindlers, attached. I know they should be farther along than this, but I planted late and generally dropped the ball. Any advice you or anyone else can offer to boost them would be much appreciated!

The right-most plant is male, so his days are numbered. A question about that -- are male plants of value to set me up with some seeds for the future? Can/should I move him well away, is that even possible? I will probably have other questions as a grow rookie, so I'll be back on these great forums again I'm sure.

hmmm.. not sure how to post an image from my hard drive, oh well.....

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:09 pm

To post an image from your hard drive you must use an image hosting website like www.imageshack.us

Male plants are of no value to you. If you know it's a male, kill it now before it's too late...it will infect your females and cause hermies. The pollen from males can easily spread for several miles, so you unless you are planning on moving it halfway across the countryside, don't mess with it

(weedguru)scarf
Ganja God
Ganja God

Post by (weedguru)scarf » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:42 pm

looking forward to seeing it
woah