Mirrors?

Talk about grow room setup/design and equipment

Moderator: Moderators

SykonoT
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Re: Mirrors?

Post by SykonoT » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:38 pm

No it still wouldn't be good because mirrors absorb more light than anything and plus the Mylar is pretty cheap on Htg supply.com I got a 50'x50 inch roll for like 25$-30$usd
Bop bop beech

blackxs
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by blackxs » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:17 pm

not sure where the myth of mirrors absorbing light got started - maybe the cannabis bible - not sure - but anyway - it is false. While it is true, that mirrors do absorb some light that hits them - EVERYTHING but light absorbs some light. But of the objects in this world, mirrors are one of the most "perfect" reflectors. And that is the problem - mirrors don't diffuse the light (like mylar, white paint, etc..) - mirrors FOCUS the light. it is called specular reflectivity (AKA hot spots) if you want to look it up.

I found the answer on my own, its because we are not outdoors so the light is only coming from one source so we want to diffuse the light as much as we can so it gives the biggest light coverage. Nothing to do with mirrors absorbing light... lol... if mirrors absorbed light, your room would look darker when viewed through a mirror...
If you agree with the above post, please decrease my karma

SykonoT
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by SykonoT » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:18 pm

Mirrors have a 80 something %reflectiveness Mylar has 90sometgung I think it's was like 95%not positive but I take the advice higher gave me n just got me some Mylar n it works better than anything else I've tried before
Bop bop beech

blackxs
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by blackxs » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:43 pm

SykonoT wrote:Mirrors have a 80 something %reflectiveness Mylar has 90sometgung I think it's was like 95%not positive but I take the advice higher gave me n just got me some Mylar n it works better than anything else I've tried before
Mirrors have much higher reflectiveness than mylar. I like to learn why some things work better than others instead of just taking advice given, that way I know WHY and HOW it works so I can develop better systems on my own :bye:

Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist

Post by Weedguru Higher » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:55 pm

You know, a mirror isn't just a mirror. There are several different kinds of mirrors...some have silver/copper coatings , some aluminum and the other ones I dunno but I know there's more.

blackxs
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by blackxs » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:22 am

There are basically bathroom mirrors and scientific mirrors. Bathroom mirrors still reflect more than mylar, scientific mirrors absorb essentailly 0% light

SykonoT
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by SykonoT » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:24 am

Sorry ok!chill ya ass down I was told by alot of people different shit about mirrors n use what u want but from my expierience with mirrors a long time ago it Dnt compare close to the growth I've had with Mylar ..I'm done with this thread I made it simply to ask a question n it's getting full of drama so fk it I'll post n my grow only
Bop bop beech

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:43 am

Mirrors ain't nothing I would try or even bother with
(Quoted from Ed Rosenthal) White painted walls, white cardboard, styrofoam board and polyethylene plastic are all fine reflective materials. Mylar is also convenient, but is more fragile and reflects the light back in hot spots and is affected by the garden environment. The dull side of aluminum foil is also a good reflector and disperses the reflections. It is considerably cheaper than mylar. Mirrors also reflect light in hot spots and they absorb a higher percentage than the other materials mentioned.
(Quoted From Greg Green The Cannabis Growers Bible:) Many people get mirrors or tin foil and line their grow area with it.
This is NOT good. MIRRORS ABSORB LIGHT.
This means that only a small amount of your light is reflected back
towards your plant. What you need is something white.
White is the best color for reflecting light, period.
Not shiny glossy white, just plain ‘flat’ white. A white wall
will reflect more light than a mirror will. Many growers like
to paint the walls of their grow ‘flat’ white.

blackxs
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by blackxs » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:02 am

Weedguru Higher wrote:Mirrors ain't nothing I would try or even bother with
Yeah definitely not, I just wanted to know why. I mean technically all of our grow rooms (or at least) have mirrors - what do you think the reflector behind the lightbulb is?

SykonoT
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by SykonoT » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:52 pm

My reflector is polished aluminum if I'm not mistaking...thank you higher for correcting everything but if imnot mistaking when used and applied the correct way ,don't Mylar have a better light reflection?I mean yes I believed that mirrors were a good reflector for growing but it's more of an image reflector type deal?right?r not ?
Bop bop beech

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:21 pm

Mylar is the best IMO

SykonoT
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by SykonoT » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:21 pm

Quick ? For u higher,do u think putting Mylar on my reflector would b a good thing r just leave the reflector alone?
Bop bop beech

Weedguru Higher

Post by Weedguru Higher » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:35 pm

I think that would be a fire hazard

Seems to me it would like melt onto the bulb

Dunno what mylars melting temp is

SykonoT
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by SykonoT » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:23 pm

Yea that's y I asked first I was thinking the same exact thing
Bop bop beech

blackxs
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by blackxs » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:28 pm

Leave it alone dude, mylar isnt the answer to everything... like I said its important to know the how and why and not just the "what" to things...

Reflectors are mirror-finish or similar finish because mirror finishes reflect more light and you want the MOST light to be reflected down towards the plants... depending on the shape and size of the reflector, usually mirror is the ideal finish. The reflectors are designed for certain output angle, if you put mylar in the wrong reflector shape it will send light horizontally and it will never hit the plants. Some reflectors have a mylar-like finish - but those are designed to reflect all the light down. On the walls mylar is ideal because it scatters the light the most giving a more even light output from the light, spreading it around to all the leaves.

Reflectors you want to get all the light DOWN
Once its down mylar does the job of spreading it all evenly around the grow area