Talk about grow room setup/design and equipment

Moderator: Moderators

Ikku
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Re: Electrical stimulation of plants

Post by Ikku » Sat May 14, 2011 12:54 am

Ew, spam.

I have no idea about the effect of electricity on plants. If it does anything it's going to be by moving charged ions around in cells, which may cause receptors in the membranes to act differently, but I really don't know if it would be beneficial or not, perhaps you have links to where you heard about this idea? Plant growth is mainly directed by hormones, which I don't think would be drastically effected themselves. But the opening of different receptors in the plants due to the moving ions may cause hormones to be released/taken up in different ways. Also, I think AC will definitely have different results than DC, which type of current would you be providing them?

Like I said I'm practically (though not theoretically) clueless so I can't really help you but I sure am curious.
I personally recommend checking oneself for OCD at least once every 5 minutes.

Ikku
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Ikku » Sat May 14, 2011 4:43 am

Hmm, very interesting, but it doesn't have any proof or description of why it would help. When I google "plantricity" I mainly get results from weed growing websites. I haven't found a single scientific journal article about it. All my intuition tells me that electricity would stunt growth, not promote it, but maybe at a low enough current the opposite would be true. I'll try and talk to some of my bio professors and see if they can give me an explanation.

If I were you, I would test out the hypothesis myself by providing current to one plant but not another. Ideally, I would have several plants receiving the electricity and several plants as a control, and try to control all extraneous variables so all plants had the same light and nutrients. If that's feasible for you it'd be cool to see your results.

Ikku
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot

Post by Ikku » Sat May 14, 2011 5:18 am

Yea if the only option is do it or don't do it, and you're willing to risk the plants for science, I'd go for it. I mean I doubt it kills your plants if other people have been doing it. I'm just not sure it would actually help. Anecdotal evidence sucks but people fall for it. Just because someone hooked up electricity to their plant and it grew big and healthy doesn't mean anything at all...without the electricity it may have grown just as big or even bigger. You need some rigorous controls to know if it's a good idea.

Seems like you're a smart dude and understand this though, glad you aren't taking them 100% on faith. Your plants look great as they are lol, but they're your babies to experiment with! Keep us posted.

JTP
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by JTP » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:30 am

It's safe to say 2v @ 200mA is not harmful.

Whether or not it had anything to do with my growth rates (which were way faster than I expected), I won't know until several more trial grows.

andriaSRH
s†☼nër bi†ch
s†☼nër bi†ch

Post by andriaSRH » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:26 pm

Who was Ikku talking to? :shock:

JTP
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by JTP » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:15 pm

Me. I started the thread on JTH. When he said "Ew, spam," he was referring to a spambot that had posted.

This thread's about simulating plant growth through the use of a current from a photovoltaic cell (a solar panel). Pretty much hooking jumper cables up to your grow. There is only anecdotal evidence supporting this method, but there's no evidence whatsoever that it's harmful, which puts trying this several steps ahead of other ideas. Read about plantricity here.

For my next grow, I'll get longer wire for this and keep it above the screen.

blackxs
Herbal Assassin
Herbal Assassin

Post by blackxs » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:12 pm

This is a joke, right? :bat:
If you agree with the above post, please decrease my karma