XBOX Live

Which do you play - on which platforms?

Moderator: Moderators

Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist
Tetrahydrocannabinologist
Posts: 14620
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:31 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

XBOX Live

Post by Weedguru Higher »

So a month or 2 ago I got an Xbox 360 for my kid. Now she keeps asking me for XBOX live. I'm too old school for this stuff to know what it is...

Can someone tell exactly what XBOX live is all about? I know you can play online with other live players, but what else does it do, if anything? What are the other benefits?

Is it worth it to get this for an 11 year old?
Image
aloysiuscarl
Why Hello There !
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:17 am
Contact:

Re: XBOX Live

Post by aloysiuscarl »

I own a ps3 and an xbox 360 so i am not biased towards either of them. i would love to see xbox live on windows mobile since i plan to stick with winmo for quite a long time. I've used it to play "Borderlands" on an older account. However, it would not let me play 1 v. 100. I was also able to use the party system.
Bubbles
The Green Bastard
The Green Bastard
Posts: 4357
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:10 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: XBOX Live

Post by Bubbles »

^ is that a bot, or a retard? either way: FUCKA YOU WHARE! FUCKA YOU DORPHIN!


aaaanyways, XBOX Live is essentially the internet, you have a gamertag which is what you are recognized by, and you play games with many different people from everywhereland, and thats all i know because thats all i use it for.
Image
Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist
Tetrahydrocannabinologist
Posts: 14620
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:31 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: XBOX Live

Post by Weedguru Higher »

My daughter says you get free games on XBOX live...is that true?
Image
Bubbles
The Green Bastard
The Green Bastard
Posts: 4357
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:10 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: XBOX Live

Post by Bubbles »

Weedguru Higher wrote:My daughter says you get free games on XBOX live...is that true?
hope that wasnt directed at me... cause i dont have a clue.
Image
Big Daddy
Sir Toke-a-lot
Sir Toke-a-lot
Posts: 2737
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: Tennessee
Contact:

Re: XBOX Live

Post by Big Daddy »

You can do a lot on Xbox Live, that is if you have a gold account (20 bucks every 3 months). Of course you can play games online with other folks, but you can also get on Facebook, download games demos (free) but if you want to download other games you have to buy a points card, download movies and if you have a netflix account you can stream all sorts of things directly to your tv. I use netflix more than anything else on Xbox Live.
Get Funky Wit Yo Bad Self
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v694/blazefan04/st1.gif[/img]
logically
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope
Posts: 1564
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:41 am
Location: the woods
Contact:

Re: XBOX Live

Post by logically »

I use the hell out of netflix on xboxlive...

I barely ever play games anymore... :(
ImageA warrior may choose pacifism, all others are condemned to it.Image
Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist
Tetrahydrocannabinologist
Posts: 14620
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:31 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: XBOX Live

Post by Weedguru Higher »

What does the free XBOX live account give you?

If I understand correctly you can get games Demos right? If so, how long is a demo? 1 hour of play or what?
Image
Grrrl
Moderator
Posts: 1220
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:19 pm
Location: Manchester, uk
Contact:

Re: XBOX Live

Post by Grrrl »

the demo's depend on the game, some you can play a level or two, others you can only play certain modes, it varies quite a bit. the only free game I have got from xbl was a doritos dinosaur game which was pap. If you have a gold account you can usually get games for a reduced amount on offers now and then. As I recall your daughter is quite young so I'd make sure you supervise her if you let her have an xbl account because there are some weird and vulgar people out there and you cant there is no way to censor the things that people might say over their headsets that might not be appropriate for her ears.
Image
Me importa un pimiento...
Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist
Tetrahydrocannabinologist
Posts: 14620
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:31 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: XBOX Live

Post by Weedguru Higher »

^ What you are saying is what I was worried about....You have confirmed my original feeling of not getting Live for her..atleast not at such a young age. She's gonna be 12 in a month. I cannot constantly supervise her while playing XBOX, for 1 because it's downstairs in her room and for 2 because she stays home alone for several hours in the day sometimes.

She's been begging me to get this, but instead I'll explain the reasons why I can't get it for her and just buy her a few more games instead.

Thanks Grrrl!
Image
Grrrl
Moderator
Posts: 1220
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:19 pm
Location: Manchester, uk
Contact:

Re: XBOX Live

Post by Grrrl »

you are welcome, I'm sure it will be easier for her to digest with a heap of new games to get through anyway :) My parents wouldnt let me have the internet or a mobile til I was about 13/14 for similar reasons. It taught me to be patience and I think I appreciated them more when I did get them, though I recall being quite angry about it at the time. Keeping up with the jones's is a big thing when your a kid, but you are doing what is best for her in the long run and she will understand that if not now then one day in the future :)
Image
Me importa un pimiento...
Weedguru Higher
Tetrahydrocannabinologist
Tetrahydrocannabinologist
Posts: 14620
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:31 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: XBOX Live

Post by Weedguru Higher »

Good advice, thanks again

I'm a pretty smart guy, and I already knew the obvious answer for this pretty much. But it's hard for me to refuse things to my kid. As as kid I had nothing, and was an outcast cause of it. My parents were overly protective..like extreme and it did more harm than good really. So now as a parent myslef I don't want her to feel left out, or different from other kids, but I don't want to harm her either. It's kind of a fine line, and I'm not always sure where that line is....Just having answers like this helps me explain things better to my kid. She can also understand it better when it comes from someone else. I'm going to read to her exactly what you have said here.
Image
WeedGuru_Flow
Red Eye Jedi
Posts: 8722
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

Re: XBOX Live

Post by WeedGuru_Flow »

Also, the silver membership doesn't allow you to play games online, you have to be a gold member for that.

Bullshit in my opinion as microsoft only gains money off of it without offering anything in return for the user, no dedicated servers, and in Europe we get ripped off even more because what you people in N-america get is ten times more content than down here!
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we would all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music.
Ziggy
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope
Posts: 1714
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:53 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: XBOX Live

Post by Ziggy »

Woooooooo ! Just got my Live to work at my new place :D
Check Link: Flex Your Rights - Citizens Guide to Surviving Police Encounters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA

“Information is not knowledge. The only source of knowledge is experience.”
Albert Einstein
SToNeR ChRiS
The Duke of Dope
The Duke of Dope
Posts: 1549
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:20 am
Location: Where gravity no longer exists
Contact:

Re: XBOX Live

Post by SToNeR ChRiS »

Unless I'm playing with friends who are over at my house, I really only play xbox live at home... When it comes to other people saying vulgar comments, it usually depends on the game. It's really not THAT bad anyway. I dunno, I'd give it some more thought. I'm sure she would have a lot more fun on live than just playing the computer over and over again.
I saw on TV today, this man lost his son, his son died...
So he had him cremated, took his ashes, and then made it into a Diamond ring...
Now he watches his son shine every day.
I just thought about that, while I sit here ashing in this ashtray...
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users