XBOX Live
Moderator: Moderators
-
Weedguru Higher
- Tetrahydrocannabinologist

- Posts: 14620
- Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:31 pm
- Location: Canada
- Contact:
XBOX Live
So a month or 2 ago I got an Xbox 360 for my kid. Now she keeps asking me for XBOX live. I'm too old school for this stuff to know what it is...
Can someone tell exactly what XBOX live is all about? I know you can play online with other live players, but what else does it do, if anything? What are the other benefits?
Is it worth it to get this for an 11 year old?
Can someone tell exactly what XBOX live is all about? I know you can play online with other live players, but what else does it do, if anything? What are the other benefits?
Is it worth it to get this for an 11 year old?

-
aloysiuscarl
- Why Hello There !
- Posts: 4
- Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:17 am
- Contact:
Re: XBOX Live
I own a ps3 and an xbox 360 so i am not biased towards either of them. i would love to see xbox live on windows mobile since i plan to stick with winmo for quite a long time. I've used it to play "Borderlands" on an older account. However, it would not let me play 1 v. 100. I was also able to use the party system.
-
Bubbles
- The Green Bastard

- Posts: 4357
- Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:10 am
- Location: Canada
- Contact:
Re: XBOX Live
^ is that a bot, or a retard? either way: FUCKA YOU WHARE! FUCKA YOU DORPHIN!
aaaanyways, XBOX Live is essentially the internet, you have a gamertag which is what you are recognized by, and you play games with many different people from everywhereland, and thats all i know because thats all i use it for.
aaaanyways, XBOX Live is essentially the internet, you have a gamertag which is what you are recognized by, and you play games with many different people from everywhereland, and thats all i know because thats all i use it for.

-
Weedguru Higher
- Tetrahydrocannabinologist

- Posts: 14620
- Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:31 pm
- Location: Canada
- Contact:
-
Bubbles
- The Green Bastard

- Posts: 4357
- Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:10 am
- Location: Canada
- Contact:
Re: XBOX Live
hope that wasnt directed at me... cause i dont have a clue.Weedguru Higher wrote:My daughter says you get free games on XBOX live...is that true?

-
Big Daddy
- Sir Toke-a-lot

- Posts: 2737
- Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:25 pm
- Location: Tennessee
- Contact:
Re: XBOX Live
You can do a lot on Xbox Live, that is if you have a gold account (20 bucks every 3 months). Of course you can play games online with other folks, but you can also get on Facebook, download games demos (free) but if you want to download other games you have to buy a points card, download movies and if you have a netflix account you can stream all sorts of things directly to your tv. I use netflix more than anything else on Xbox Live.
Get Funky Wit Yo Bad Self
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v694/blazefan04/st1.gif[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v694/blazefan04/st1.gif[/img]
-
logically
- The Duke of Dope

- Posts: 1564
- Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:41 am
- Location: the woods
- Contact:
Re: XBOX Live
I use the hell out of netflix on xboxlive...
I barely ever play games anymore...
I barely ever play games anymore...
A warrior may choose pacifism, all others are condemned to it.
-
Weedguru Higher
- Tetrahydrocannabinologist

- Posts: 14620
- Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:31 pm
- Location: Canada
- Contact:
Re: XBOX Live
What does the free XBOX live account give you?
If I understand correctly you can get games Demos right? If so, how long is a demo? 1 hour of play or what?
If I understand correctly you can get games Demos right? If so, how long is a demo? 1 hour of play or what?

-
Grrrl
- Moderator
- Posts: 1220
- Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:19 pm
- Location: Manchester, uk
- Contact:
Re: XBOX Live
the demo's depend on the game, some you can play a level or two, others you can only play certain modes, it varies quite a bit. the only free game I have got from xbl was a doritos dinosaur game which was pap. If you have a gold account you can usually get games for a reduced amount on offers now and then. As I recall your daughter is quite young so I'd make sure you supervise her if you let her have an xbl account because there are some weird and vulgar people out there and you cant there is no way to censor the things that people might say over their headsets that might not be appropriate for her ears.

Me importa un pimiento...
-
Weedguru Higher
- Tetrahydrocannabinologist

- Posts: 14620
- Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:31 pm
- Location: Canada
- Contact:
Re: XBOX Live
^ What you are saying is what I was worried about....You have confirmed my original feeling of not getting Live for her..atleast not at such a young age. She's gonna be 12 in a month. I cannot constantly supervise her while playing XBOX, for 1 because it's downstairs in her room and for 2 because she stays home alone for several hours in the day sometimes.
She's been begging me to get this, but instead I'll explain the reasons why I can't get it for her and just buy her a few more games instead.
Thanks Grrrl!
She's been begging me to get this, but instead I'll explain the reasons why I can't get it for her and just buy her a few more games instead.
Thanks Grrrl!

-
Grrrl
- Moderator
- Posts: 1220
- Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 12:19 pm
- Location: Manchester, uk
- Contact:
Re: XBOX Live
you are welcome, I'm sure it will be easier for her to digest with a heap of new games to get through anyway
My parents wouldnt let me have the internet or a mobile til I was about 13/14 for similar reasons. It taught me to be patience and I think I appreciated them more when I did get them, though I recall being quite angry about it at the time. Keeping up with the jones's is a big thing when your a kid, but you are doing what is best for her in the long run and she will understand that if not now then one day in the future 

Me importa un pimiento...
-
Weedguru Higher
- Tetrahydrocannabinologist

- Posts: 14620
- Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:31 pm
- Location: Canada
- Contact:
Re: XBOX Live
Good advice, thanks again
I'm a pretty smart guy, and I already knew the obvious answer for this pretty much. But it's hard for me to refuse things to my kid. As as kid I had nothing, and was an outcast cause of it. My parents were overly protective..like extreme and it did more harm than good really. So now as a parent myslef I don't want her to feel left out, or different from other kids, but I don't want to harm her either. It's kind of a fine line, and I'm not always sure where that line is....Just having answers like this helps me explain things better to my kid. She can also understand it better when it comes from someone else. I'm going to read to her exactly what you have said here.
I'm a pretty smart guy, and I already knew the obvious answer for this pretty much. But it's hard for me to refuse things to my kid. As as kid I had nothing, and was an outcast cause of it. My parents were overly protective..like extreme and it did more harm than good really. So now as a parent myslef I don't want her to feel left out, or different from other kids, but I don't want to harm her either. It's kind of a fine line, and I'm not always sure where that line is....Just having answers like this helps me explain things better to my kid. She can also understand it better when it comes from someone else. I'm going to read to her exactly what you have said here.

-
WeedGuru_Flow
- Red Eye Jedi
- Posts: 8722
- Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:41 pm
- Location: Belgium
- Contact:
Re: XBOX Live
Also, the silver membership doesn't allow you to play games online, you have to be a gold member for that.
Bullshit in my opinion as microsoft only gains money off of it without offering anything in return for the user, no dedicated servers, and in Europe we get ripped off even more because what you people in N-america get is ten times more content than down here!
Bullshit in my opinion as microsoft only gains money off of it without offering anything in return for the user, no dedicated servers, and in Europe we get ripped off even more because what you people in N-america get is ten times more content than down here!
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac-Man had affected us as kids, we would all be running around darkened rooms, munching magic pills, and listening to repetitive electronic music.
-
Ziggy
- The Duke of Dope

- Posts: 1714
- Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:53 am
- Location: Canada
- Contact:
Re: XBOX Live
Woooooooo ! Just got my Live to work at my new place 
Check Link: Flex Your Rights - Citizens Guide to Surviving Police Encounters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA
“Information is not knowledge. The only source of knowledge is experience.”
Albert Einstein
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA
“Information is not knowledge. The only source of knowledge is experience.”
Albert Einstein
-
SToNeR ChRiS
- The Duke of Dope

- Posts: 1549
- Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:20 am
- Location: Where gravity no longer exists
- Contact:
Re: XBOX Live
Unless I'm playing with friends who are over at my house, I really only play xbox live at home... When it comes to other people saying vulgar comments, it usually depends on the game. It's really not THAT bad anyway. I dunno, I'd give it some more thought. I'm sure she would have a lot more fun on live than just playing the computer over and over again.
I saw on TV today, this man lost his son, his son died...
So he had him cremated, took his ashes, and then made it into a Diamond ring...
Now he watches his son shine every day.
I just thought about that, while I sit here ashing in this ashtray...
So he had him cremated, took his ashes, and then made it into a Diamond ring...
Now he watches his son shine every day.
I just thought about that, while I sit here ashing in this ashtray...
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users