Page 2 of 3

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:16 am
by WeedGuru_Flow
jup, i tought myself everything i know so far, and still am learning alot by the week ^^

it's all about discipline, keep playing no matter how much you feel you suck at the start, its normal.

Try playing some songs of bands you're realy into, that helped me alot

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:18 am
by WeedGuru_Flow
Big Daddy wrote:
Kegan wrote:just look up tabs to whatever songs you want to play like thebigpicture said. harder songs need you to learn the guitar's chords first

i just wanted to brag that i taught myself how to play the intros to come as you are, enter sandman, and in-a-gadda-da-vida
thanks
Can you play the guitar part in "Freebird" by Skynard. I just want to know how hard it was if you do.

erh come as you are is simple as hell ^^

i can play the acoustic part of fade to black, one, about everyting from nirvana, some greenday .... alot of stuff at once

plus the songs we make with the 'band'


**Edit**

Shit, sorry for the doulbepost guys, didnt read the thread cuz i wanted to give my answer and then i saw the come as you are intro thing :)

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:32 pm
by Big Daddy
A_Fire_Inside wrote:
Big Daddy wrote:anything Skynard gets you an A+ in my book. i just figured that the riff in freebird and simple man sound like a bitch to play.
Haha, i can play all of free-bird apart from that stupid solo.

But if skynnard gets an A+ in your books, then you need to listen to some Slayer.
But the solo is the best part!!!

Also I love Slayer, got the Cd's Hell Awaits, Live Undead, Reign in Blood and Live Decade of Aggression.

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 6:56 am
by Mind Terrorist
i learnt guitar by ear, taught myself the lot. eventually learnt notation and i've had a few amateurish guitar lessons, but never paid attention.
it's easy to do, and if you have thepassion which i did and do, then you'll pick it up in no time. the trickiest part is 1stly getting your left hand used to making chord shapes and pressing down notes, then develop hard skin (by contstant practicing - this eventually enables virtuosic skills in guitar soloing, im sure you've heard dimebag or kerry king hammering a huge beasty guitar solo out of a demon 6 string.

Posted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:46 pm
by clashcityrocker
Pick up the Blue Superbook. Its sold at pretty much every guitar store, costs about 10 dollars, and it's used for high school classes. It taught me the basics of guitar and so much more. It definetly starts off easy and you gradually learn the six strings, not to mention it has an assload of oldies type of songs. It also has a complete chord sheet. Last but not least it includes CD's to play along with (although I never used them.)

Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:09 am
by Gorecore
If you want to hear me playing guitar, check out

www.myspace.com/anguish

The newest bit is WORK IN PROGRESS which I recorded a few nights ago.

With the way tonight is going so far...awww yeah...ya KNOW i'm gonna kick it old school, probably for Big Daddy and BG and Caro and I dedicate the next song to ya'll out there in the world of brightly lit screens and people who are getting born again tonite!!

Damn, now I'll have to record something new tonite. Maybe something simple and cover-ish.

Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:12 am
by BGDetroit
^This mofo is fucin great at platyin gutair man. I listneted to him last night, Fucking amazing man. Much props. (Y)

Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:33 pm
by Weedguru_Fire_Inside
Big Daddy wrote:
A_Fire_Inside wrote:
Big Daddy wrote:anything Skynard gets you an A+ in my book. i just figured that the riff in freebird and simple man sound like a bitch to play.
Haha, i can play all of free-bird apart from that stupid solo.

But if skynnard gets an A+ in your books, then you need to listen to some Slayer.
But the solo is the best part!!!

Also I love Slayer, got the Cd's Hell Awaits, Live Undead, Reign in Blood and Live Decade of Aggression.
I seem to mislead alot of people around here, don't i?

By stupid solo, i mean stupidly hard and complex it is to play, as the whole song lasts just over 10minutes, that guy gets my respect for being able to remember any of it.

Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:24 pm
by Disraeli Gears
Nah respects gotta go to Dave Gilmour, how the hell does he remember 13+ minutes of shine on you crazy diamond? I guess it is a blues, but still...

And yeah teaching yourselfs the best way, youll develop your own style rather than the style of a guitar teacher or something. If you can master Voodoo chile slight return by Jimi Hendrix youll know you're getting somewhere.. :wink:

Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 3:45 pm
by Big Daddy
Gorecore wrote:If you want to hear me playing guitar, check out

www.myspace.com/anguish

The newest bit is WORK IN PROGRESS which I recorded a few nights ago.

With the way tonight is going so far...awww yeah...ya KNOW i'm gonna kick it old school, probably for Big Daddy and BG and Caro and I dedicate the next song to ya'll out there in the world of brightly lit screens and people who are getting born again tonite!!

Damn, now I'll have to record something new tonite. Maybe something simple and cover-ish.
A funny picture of Gorecore performing on the Johnny Carson show in a tuxedo with his hair all slicked back popped in my head after i read that. LOL.

Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:04 pm
by canadianbud
I taught myself guitar. Some of my favorite websites for tabs and stuff are mxtabs.net http://www.ultimate-guitar.com and other than that you can search it on google. Thing's you have to remember are that you hafta learn the technique's (double picking, scales, soloing over different chords etc.) cos if you don't learn them off the start, they become a hassle to learn later on (as i would know).

Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:11 am
by Gorecore
BGDetroit wrote:^This mofo is fucin great at platyin gutair man. I listneted to him last night, Fucking amazing man. Much props. (Y)
Thanks man! I appreciate your props considering I 'mostly' play death metal which isn't really your style of music.

I actually did a little recording last night...but the vocals sound terrible. I always thought I could sing clean fairly well, but I guess I can't :(

C'mon 10:30!! Hurry up! That's when my delivery of 5g is supposed to arrive.

Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 1:29 am
by reallifefake
Okay - the books~

The books teach you ABOUT the guitar. They'll teach you chords and hand positions. Thumb/no-thumb method. Scales. Riffs (maybe). But in their entirity they're BULL-FUCKING-SHIT. There is NO way to teach an instrument to anyone who can't play an instrument.

Music takes musicality.
Not much, though.
So if you can hum along with your favorite song,
if you can say the words like they say them
and you know when that one part of the song that you fucking love every time it plays is and you start jamming out RIGHT when it starts...

You can play the guitar. Because that 'jamming out' is what it takes to play the guitar.

Now all you need is the 'how.'

But as everyone has said thusfar - it's just practice. Easy.

Good luck in this endeavor

Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:51 pm
by raydenhog
As far as getting tabs is concerned download power tab editor and download files for it from www.powertabs.net. It is 100% perfect, the tabs are the same quality as most tab books unlike those shitty ones on other tab sites.

Seriously it'll save you a fortune on buying tab books

Posted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:53 pm
by raydenhog
Disraeli Gears wrote:Nah respects gotta go to Dave Gilmour, how the hell does he remember 13+ minutes of shine on you crazy diamond? I guess it is a blues, but still...

And yeah teaching yourselfs the best way, youll develop your own style rather than the style of a guitar teacher or something. If you can master Voodoo chile slight return by Jimi Hendrix youll know you're getting somewhere.. :wink:
I wouldnt agree with that completely either, a lot of people end up with very bad technique by teaching themselves and that will only end up limiting your playing ability in the long run